Not Nearly As Fun When You Don't Play Along

I hadn't been out of the house in two days. The bruises on my stomach were purple, and my eye was black. I was starting to run out of the bandages I had stolen a few weeks ago, and the crude incision on my face was still bleeding a little. I groaned as I propped myself up onto my elbows. It was almost two in the morning, which meant it was almost time for me to meet Mal. I sighed as I eased myself onto my feet, every bone in my body protesting the sudden movement. I slipped out of the black bed shorts I was wearing and slowly stepped into the black jeans I never wore. While I was bent over, I decided to just get it over with and slip on my boots. I bit back a scream as I straightened back up, feeling the broken rib in my side start to rebel. I slipped a red tank top over my head, and covered myself up in a black hoodie, zipping it up halfway, and pulling the hood securely over my ears. My hands automatically reached over to the back of my chair, hovering over the jacket hanging there. I made a face and shook my head. I couldn't wear it. They know what it looks like. I slipped my knife into my pocket and began to head out of the still-broken front door to my apartment.

She was already there when I arrived, hands in my pockets, and head towards the ground.

"Elda?"

I sighed, lifting my head, but staying in the shadows. I crossed my fingers and hoped she couldn't see my face.

"I thought you forgot about me."

Mal shifted from foot to foot, her biggest nervous tick.

"Never."

My voice cracked from misuse, and I cringed, hoping she hadn't heard it.

"Are you alright?"

I sighed. Of course, she had heard it. She was my best friend after all. I nodded my head, wincing at the pain.

"Yeah, sure. I just... Don't want anyone to catch on. That's all."

She nodded, a dark cloud of worry still covering her face.

"Do you have an update?"

I pressed.

"Yeah. Well, I um... Gave Ben the cookie."

I nodded, feeling my eyes light up with joy.

"That's great! What happened?"

I might be mistaken, but I could have sworn I saw a blush begin to creep onto her cheeks.

"He loves me."

There was an edge to her voice. A tone I had never heard before.

"Well, that was the plan."

I reminded her. She suddenly snapped back from whatever galaxy she had disappeared to and frowned.

"I know."

She whispered.

"So... Did he invite you to the coronation?"

My face was throbbing now, and I just desperately wanted to go back to bed.

"Yeah."

She nodded, her face distant.

"Mal..."

I took a deep breath.

"You don't... Like him, do you?"

I swallowed hard, digging my nails into the palm of my hand in anticipation.

"I don't know."

The air between us was so stiff and awkward, that no one dared to say a word for a moment. Surprisingly, I was the one who spoke up first.