The Dagger

"Shall we my dear?"

I stood slowly and walked over to the door. I had been waiting on this moment for what felt like forever. I smirked as I grabbed Maleficent's hand.

"We shall."

From the moment our feet left the ground, I felt weightless. It was like every ounce of me had just disappeared and would never come back. I couldn't see Maleficent, but I could feel her. I could feel her hand grasp mine in the thick green fog, and I could hear her cackle as we flew over the ocean. My mind was racing as we went. Thoughts of Mal and my friends made my heart race, just thinking about the moment we'd share when we finally fulfilled our destiny. The excitement, however, was no match for the constant nagging doubt gnawing in the pit of my stomach, or the ringing of Harry's voice ringing in my ears.

"I hope you made the right choice love."

I felt my breathing hitch. What if he was right? What if Mal and Evie, Jay, and Carlos had all moved on and forgotten about me? What if it wasn't worth it? No. No Elda don't be so silly. There is absolutely no way Mal would choose a prince over her own family. I was trying so hard to shake the thoughts from my head, that I had accidentally let go of the hand I was holding and suddenly, I was falling instead of flying. I couldn't help it; a scream escaped my lips as the air that was just keeping me steady suddenly rushed all around me. It took what felt like forever before I felt my body slam onto something hard. I gasped, desperate to get the air back into my lungs before I sat on the edge of whatever it was that I had fallen on, feeling my feet dangle a few feet in the air. I gripped the sides of the carriage and hopped down onto my feet, whimpering a little as the sudden movement send a twinge of pain up my leg.

"What in the..."

I looked up at the carriage only to realize that it wasn't at all that it seemed. It wasn't a vehicle used to transport the rich princes and princesses from one castle playdate to the next, no. Instead, the side had been cut open into a window, revealing a treasure trove of plastic tiaras and wands that resembled the Fairy God Mother's. I wrinkled my nose. It wasn't a carriage at all, it was a tiny little store on wheels. I spat at it in disgust before I spun on my heel, eager to get my bearings. Everything was better here. The air was crisper and didn't smell like sewage, the streets had unbroken cobblestones, the buildings were freshly painted and repaired, each with a box of flowers on every window. It was intimidating. I was looking around, taking everything in when I spotted sobering just across the road. I held my breath as I walked slowly towards the giant stone building that boasted the words:

THE MUSEUM OF CULTURAL HISTORY

The words, however, weren't what grabbed my attention. My focus went straight to the giant banners that hung above the door. Each one was alternating colors between blue and gold, hosting a picture of something inside on the front of them. There were pictures of a spindle, a wand, a rose, a scepter, a shell necklace, and finally at the very end, a dagger. I knew that knife. I spent most of my life staring at a sketch of it hung on my mother's wall. It was her dagger, the one she used to kill Flynn Ryder. A sense of urgency rushed through me as I ran, sprinting up the steps and to the locked doors which had giant signs advertising that they were closed for the coronation. I didn't care. I sent my fist flying through the glass, wincing as the shards broke through the leather of my gloves and into my skin. I unlocked the door from the inside before I withdrew my hand and opened the door on the outside. As soon as the door flung open, the alarms started, blasting the loudest siren I had ever heard through my ears I flinched, creasing my eyes before I started running again. I flew past the spinning wheel that Aurora pricked her finger on, looking up only for a moment to glance at the sign that pointed the way to the villainous artifacts. I took a moment to slow my pace and smile at a camera that was following my every move. It felt so good to be doing something I wasn't supposed to do again. The alarm got quieter and quieter as I centered further into the museum. I felt as if I was lost when I finally stumbled upon it. A giant diorama of our parents. Wax figures of Maleficent, Javar, Cruella, The Evil Queen, and yes, my mother scowled back at me. I felt a shiver run through my spine as I stared at her. Her eyes were glassy, her skin was dull, and her curls her streaked with silver. She looked like my mother but in a dull, unwavering kind of way. I managed to rip my eyes away from her long enough to notice the display of weapons on the far side of the room. There, nestled between the spot for Maleficent's scepter, and Javar's brass lamp sat a dagger with a braided handle, and a sharp, long blade. I felt my heart race as I reached out, my hand grazing the small plaque that boasted my mother's name. I felt a small evil smile graze my lips as I reached out further, my fingers just inches away from my treasure. I ripped my hand away as a small shock sent ripples through my body. Of course. A force field. That sent a surge of rage touring through me so strong, that I didn't even think about the consequences as reached out again. This time, a shock of blue fire shot from my hand, causing the force field to buckle as I stumbled backward, the ground break my fall as I skid backward, thumping into the wall behind me.

"What..."

I held my shaking hands in my lap and shook my head. There was no way. Absolutely no way that could have actually happened. I was making sure I hadn't hit my head and caused myself brain damage when I fell as a loud bang came from outside. I quickly collected myself, grabbed the dagger from the case, and ran back out the way I came. It was hard to miss where the sound came from. When you looked in the direction of the castle, the only thing you could see was a giant purple dragon perched on the roof. I chuckled as I ran towards the castle. Maleficent might have started this fight, but I was bound and determined to finish it.