Perfectly Evil

The shadows of the island were cold and damp, but the anticipation pulsing through my veins made it impossible to care. I couldn't stand still. I sat down on a crate, only to stand up, kick it, and pace around seconds later.

"Come on."

I muttered under my breath, glancing around the dead-end of the island. It was two in the morning, and no one in their right mind was wandering around the isle. Not with Uma and her pirate crew on such a tear. Suddenly, a sharp whisper cut through the stale night air.

"Elda?"

I ran to the edge of the Isle where, on the other side of the barrier, on the outside of the island, there stood my best friend. She didn't look much different than she had three days ago but still, as I stared at the girl that I had known for my entire life I could feel something at least slightly off... but I chose to ignore it.

"Mal!"

I breathed happily.

"I'm so glad you're here!"

I gushed.

"Hi, Elda."

She smiled through the dark. That's when it hit me. We were on the edge of the island. The waterfront. I felt my eyes grow twice the size as I looked down. Water. All I saw was water. No land, no boat, no dock, just... Water. And she was standing on it.

"Magic."

I whispered, hearing Mal chuckle at my astonishment.

"Yeah."

She smiled, twirling around in a circle.

"Pretty cool huh?"

I nodded, still starstruck as I stuck out my hand. Maybe it was the late hour, or the adrenalin, or the mind-boggling fact that my best friend had now developed these magical powers, or maybe I just plain forgot that there was now a barrier between the two of us. It quickly became apparent, however, when my hand suddenly hit a wall. I gasped, yanking it back to my side as if I had just been shocked. I made a face as my head began to swim. I had never actually touched the barrier before. Nobody had. We didn't dare. We were all terrified of it. The kings and kings told their princes and princesses scary tales of well... Us. But our parents? They told scary stories about the barrier. The tales ranged from people getting electrocuted, losing limbs, or even getting sucked through and eaten by the killer sharks below. The boys had once scared Evie so bad when we were little, that she wet her pants and ran to their parents... Who gave them lollipops for their good deeds? Curious now, I held my hands out in front of me. No burns, all ten fingers, no injuries at all.

"Woah."

I heard Mal whisper. That's when I began to get brazen. I sucked in a sharp, deep breath, and held out both hands. Gently, I inched them towards the invisible wall between the two of us, until I finally felt it. The air around my hands glowed with a golden sheen when I initially slipped my hands onto the dome. There was nothing. No pain, no fear, just a wall. It was solid as I pushed, remaining stable as I pouted. I looked up, smiling as Mal stared at me in shock.

"Try it."

I whispered. Carefully, she stuck out her hands, placing them gingerly on top of mine. I pouted. I couldn't feel them. It was like she wasn't there at all. Except... She was.

"So, Carlos likes dogs now?!"

I blinked incredulously.

"Yeah!"

Mal shrugged.

"He sleeps with it at the foot of his bed every night."

I stared at her, appalled, but too curious and time-motivated to dwell.