Possibility.

Shireena couldn’t sleep that night. Her father’s words bounced in her head and she was as excited as a child who had just found gold. For most of the night she stared at the rusty tent above her and widened her thoughts about school. She had never been to a school nor was she told about it, but the child’s imagination worked just right. She forced her eyelids down, and allowed images and ideas to appear in front of her. She made-up a huge building. A building with a well maintained garden, pretty classrooms, polished windows, nailed furniture and lots and lots of children. Short, long, fat and skinny children dressed in clean blue uniform that had a symbol on its pockets. She imagined elderly teachers sitting under a tree on a cloth, enjoying their lunch. Shireena made-up their names and conversations and made herself feel like she was really in a school. But was she sure that school would be the way she imagined it? Would there be a huge building, lots of children or any teachers? Shireena didn’t know but the reality was yet to come.

 Just as the sun came to rise, Shireena jerked from her mattress and rushed outside. She could feel the warmth of the sun hit her skin and she liked that feeling. She stood there for a minute or two, allowing the sun rays to touch her rough skin. Just as she returned back to her senses, she decided to get ready. Shireena had stayed awake all night like an owl and by now, she had planned for her day. Shireena opened her trunk and grabbed new clothes that were given to her by the herbalist. The clothes were as soft as cotton due to which Shireena had kept it safely to wear it on a special event. She didn’t wear them on Eid, however; in order to impress the students, she decided to wear those clothes to her first day of school. She bathed in the channel nearby which as usual didn’t make her feel much clean, and then she wore her cotton dress.

Back in the tent, her mother was already awake, making breakfast for the family.

“Where were you Shireena?” Her mother asked as she caught sight of Shireena. “And why are you wearing that dress? Keep it back so you could use it for a special event!”

“But mother, for me there is no other special day than my first day of school. I promise you that I wouldn’t stain them with dirt. I assure you with that Mother.”

Her mother was quite unsatisfied, she wasn’t quite sure but she nodded. Shireena seated herself on the mattress and waited until the food was served. As per their routine, they took leftover bread and tea. Shireena was the one making haste since she was determined to reach school early.

“Oye Shireena! You spilled your tea on me!” Scolded his younger brother but Shireena ignored him and rushed out of the tent.

She put on her shoes and then run her fingers through her damp hair. She got up and started searching for a comb and a mirror in one of the trunks. She got the comb but the mirror was still missing.

“Mother! Have you seen the mirror? I can’t find it!” Shireena’s voice was loud enough to wake the whole camp.

“Your brother broke it yesterday. We don’t have another one for now.”

Shireena sighed and continued combing her hair. She walked round and round the tent, still combing her hair trying to get the knots out of it. She let her anger out by kicking the pebbles that would come to her feet and just as she neared to the area where her mother would cook, she had an initiative, an excellent one. She picked up one of the steel plates that were stacked on one corner and glanced at her reflection on it.

“Perfect!” Shireena had found herself a mirror. It didn’t exactly show her properly but she could see herself in it, which was all that she wanted.

After all the preparations, she covered her head with a scarf and accompanied her brothers to the school. The boys knew the shortest route to the school and so Shireena let them guide her. On her way she still imagined the school but what was disturbing her was that would it be the way she thinks it is supposed to be?