Concealed

Me and my brother rambled from school on the hot summer day. We didn't do as such physical activity in school yet everyday seemed to get more tiring than the previous. At school, matters have become more interesting as our teacher is teaching us the foreign language English! She has suggested us to learn the alphabets first because in her point of view writing them might be slightly difficult and to be honest, I am not looking forward to writing in English because I am sure of the fact that it will be an uphill struggle. I must say that English to me or maybe to all the native children is quite a peculiar language and it sounds nothing like our native language pushto, however; the rhyme sung by the teacher and the children as a group makes learning slightly more bearable. From the past few days I have been spending a lot of my time in companionship of the herbalist. After school ends, I rush towards the herbalists tent mainly to escape the misery of doing the chores and also because the herbalist is quite an interesting person to have a chat with. Unlike many other elderly women in the camp, the herbalist is quite different and unique. No one can compete to her creativeness and boldness.

You see, from the past few years due to certain situations I was forced to spend some quality time with my grandmother. My grandmother was a tall bony lady who enjoyed the luxury of sleeping all day long. At times when she was entrusted to babysit us, she would sleep in my siblings' bedroom under the fan or clean her dentures with a soapy corncob. You know what? Do me a favor. Do not imagine my grandmother cleaning her dentures with a corncob since its equally disturbing and disgusting. Despite such unfortunate events I have always supported my grandmother and have loved and respected her with all my heart.

When I and my brother had gotten near to the camping areas, we both departed and I headed towards the herbalists tent. It had become automatic for me to head in that direction. Without knocking or calling out, I abruptly set foot in the tent only to find out that the Herbalist was sleeping. Usually when I would visit her, she would either be drying her herbs or organizing her belongings. Her eyes were shut tightly while she had both of her hands resting on her chest. I didn't want to disturb her because she looked as if she had finally obtained peace. The wrinkles on her face had slightly eased and her lips shaped a slight smile. I decided to let the herbalist rest so, I tiptoed towards the opening.

That very afternoon was mainly spent doing my chores and visiting the natives near us to gather some supplies. Mother was usually occupied in putting things in proper order while the men of the family were nowhere to be seen. Perhaps father was attending the gathering as usual while my brothers would be off playing at the local playground. Mother had asked me to bring borrow some tea leaves from my aunties living in the other row of tents, therefore; I rushed there. From the past days I have noticed that we are running very low of supplies and father doesn't bring something once he gets home. My poor auntie's tent was in a terrible condition yet she has no children of her own. She and her husband accommodated themselves in their tent and due to that they had much space to live in. Apparently Auntie had been saving up on her supplies and surprisingly she willingly gave a portion of her tea leaves.

On my way back I was tempted to visit the herbalist yet I didn't because I knew that mother was expecting me to come back home quickly. As I got near the tent I could hear the voice of my father. But with covering some more pace I realized that he was yelling. White with terror, I didn't want to go in to find out therefore I stayed outside and kept an ear out for the conversation.

"You borrowed tea leaves?" Father yelled at my mother, "We are not beggars you fool! Why didn't you tell me before doing such a foolish act?"

"Well, you were not at home so-"