CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT: The Captive Prince

Lira was in the mess hall with Yumi later that evening. She stole a glimpse of Mari, who was seated on a table far away from her with Ian keeping her company. Yumi and Ian sensed the problem between Lira and Mari, so they decided to split up with Yumi sitting beside Lira and Ian with Mari.

"I know something happened," Yumi said. "Spill the beans."

So Lira told her everything what happened in the gazebo that afternoon, though she remained the bit about tha bargain a secret.

"So he kissed you? Gosh. Never saw that coming," Yumi said. "But you know he's off limits, right?"

"Of course! And I already have a boyfriend."

"What! Who? When? Where? How?" Yumi badgered, sounding eager about her friend's love life and momentarily forgetting about Lira's pressing problems.

Lira bowed her head and whispered. "It's a vampire. Nicholas. After the ball. During class. It just happened."

"Hmm. I could have sworn it was Sevastian I saw," Yumi said more to herself.

"You saw Sevastian what?" Lira eyed Yumi curiously, the latter's brows were in furrow, looking as if she was trying to figure out how Lira ended up with Nicholas.

"Said what?" Yumi asked with a confused look on her face but was quick to recover. "Oh, nothing! But Lira I'm happy for you that you finally have a boyfriend. He was not the one who I expected you to end up with, though. But, hey, as long as my best friend is happy, who am I to question which vampire she ended up with, right? But we better fix this misunderstanding with Mari. Don't worry. Fairy godmother Yumi will fix it for you," Yumi promised.

Lira was looking forward to see Nicholas that evening. They had agreed to meet, and she very much wanted to see him. She was feeling bad about everything that she just wanted to be with him to seek comfort and forget about her worries. She headed to the rec room and waited for him to arrive. After minutes of waiting, Nicholas appeared on the doorway and briskly strode towards her. She gave him a smile. Nicholas face was impassive. She tapped her hand beside her, indicating for him to sit. He stood in front of her.

"I can smell his scent all over you even from a far," he hissed with an accusing glare.

Lira's brows furrowed. "Nick, I really had a bad day today so I'd appreciate it if you'll not speak in riddles," she said calmly.

"Is that what you do during daytime? Comparing my kisses with other boys you fancy?" he spat.

"Nicholas!" What was wrong with the people around her lately? Why were they throwing accusations at her? All within a day! She stood up and tried to hold Nicholas' hands but he slapped her hands off him.

"I never want to see you again, or so help me you'll see the monster in me," he threatened, threw a manila envelope on the couch and stormed out of the room.

After recovering from her shock, Lira opened the envelope to reveal several pictures of her and Matt in the gazebo, kissing. Of all the rotten things to do! Someone was trying to set her up! Who could be this wicked to do such a thing to her? Lira stormed out of the rec room to find Yumi and informed her of her theory.

"You are right, Lira," Yumi affirmed when Lira found her on their shared room. "Someone's trying to set you up! Don't worry; I'll help you find the culprit. I'll scry this evening," Yumi added, although Lira had no idea what Yumi meant by 'scry'.

A week had passed and both Lira and Yumi still had no leads as to who had set her up. Mari still wouldn't speak with her either.

"Try to talk to her again, Lira," Ian suggested during their lunch in the mess hall. "Yumi and I are caught in between."