CHAPTER ELEVEN: Vampirology and Vampirism

"What's this?" Lira asked dumbly. She was in the mess hall having her dinner when Nicholas suddenly appeared out of nowhere, thrusting a small plastic container at her.

"Strawberries," Nicholas said, stating the obvious.

"I know these are strawberries, but why are you giving me one?" she asked.

Nicholas looked crestfallen, or at least he pretended to. "You said we're friends, Lira. Are friends not allowed to give gifts to their friends?"

"Not if they have an ulterior motive. These are probably poisoned."

"You really do know how to hurt my feelings, Lira," he said looking dejected. He then took a piece of strawberry form the container, sauntered towards a group of girls nearby and perched on their table. He said something to one of the girls that made her blush. She then opened her mouth for him and he fed her the strawberry. He smiled seductively at the girl and brushed her lips with his thumb, making the girl blush even more and looking so hopelessly in love with Nicholas. Then he stood and made his way towards the other vampires.

So these were not poisoned after all. But did he really need to show everyone his flirting skills just to make a point? Huh. Still... tTese strawberries looked so delicious. Maybe she'd try one. Matt gave her strawberries the other day as a bribe. Nicholas gave her strawberries today as a gift. What now, suddenly everybody noticed her gluttony for strawberries? And they thought they can persuade her with these succulent and mouth-watering fruits. Well, they did... a little.

"Aw. Lira is all grown up and having suitors now," Mari teased. "I'm so proud of you."

"No! He's a vampire, Mari," Lira reasoned out. Mari gave her a "so your point is?" look. Lira was about to explain further when she saw Yumi holding her tray of food and storming towards their table. She looked so angry and annoyed at Stephan who was walking beside her.

"Oh just drop dead!" Lira heard Yumi said angrily.

Lira saw Stephan said something but couldn't hear what it was.

"Go away. Why are you even here? Who left your cage open?" Yumi said.

Stephan said something Lira couldn't comprehend.

"Right, and I'll let my creepy crawler friends help decompose your body right after I introduce my fist to your face."

Stephan leaned closer to Yumi.

"I'd like to shove the cauldron in your mouth. Now shoo!" Yumi said before leaving a laughing Stephan behind.

Mari, who also witnessed Yumi's tirade, laughed and said, "Looks like Yumi is also having boy trouble." She then scooted closer to Lira. "Hey Lira, I have decided to take my flirtationship with Matt to the next level."

Lira eyed Mari with scrutiny. "What do you mean by 'next level' Mari?"

"I will confess my feelings for him," she said looking determined. "Maybe his a little dense; can't take a hint when a girl likes him. So I thought I might give him the push for him to realize I am the girl of his dreams."

Lira studied her friend. She didn't want Mari to get hurt and with what she was planning, Mari would end up brokenhearted. "Mari, maybe Matt is not the guy for you..."

"Oh I know, he's the one. It has been written in the stars," she said dreamily.

For now, Lira didn't have the heart to burst Mari's bubbles, but she couldn't let her friend make a fool of herself then regret it later, or let Mari get hurt. She'd have to talk with Yumi about this. Two heads were better than one. And she needed all the help she could get to prevent Mari from doing things she would definitely regret later.