CHAPTER SIX: An Encounter with Vampires

Three boys who looked slightly older than Lira revealed themselves from the dark. They sauntered towards her, their pale faces were as white as sheet underneath the moonlight. Their eyes gleamed black as they stared at her with wonder and delight. They closed in, circling around her, making sure that Lira's escape was blocked. They were wearing gray uniforms like hers, only they had black shirt underneath their cardigans. Vampires.

The boy in front of her sniffed the air, as if a wonderful scent filled the garden. He faced Lira, and his face twisted with a malevolent expression. "It is so nice of you to join us with our nightly rendezvous. We were just getting bored and lonely until you came along."

Lira made a step back and realized she made a mistake when she felt her back hit something hard and cold. The vampire behind her hissed and made Lira jumped on place, her glasses almost askew on her face. "We are so grateful you decided to join us," the boy said behind her, his voice sounded chillingly mesmerizing.

The other boy came closer and raised his hand revealing deadly looking claws. "We will be having so much fun now. Or at least the three of us will." He made a hiss and his teeth started to elongate revealing sharp looking fangs that glinted under the moonlight.

Lira gathered whatever remaining courage she had left when she saw an opening and tried to lunge for her escape but the vampire behind her grabbed. She struggled to free herself, but the more she moved the harder the vampire gripped her, his claws almost sinking into her skin. "We could enthrall you to give yourself to us voluntarily," the vampire said. "But it's been so long since I last encounter a squirming victim. Delightful."

"You don't want to do this," Lira managed to squeak. "The Treaty..."

"What Treaty?" the other vampire drawled, closing onto her.

Lira twisted and turned, tugging her arm free from her captor but to no avail. Her senses were clouded by the pounding of her heart and her increasing fear that she might not make it out alive that fateful night. Her mind was starting to shut down, but she forced herself to focus on one thing: her survival. She tried so hard to remember their last lesson at DAVA. What was that maneuver they learned when someone grapples you from behind? Oh no, they haven't discussed that part yet! She would give anything to have rattan sticks now so she could do the defense stance they taught them earlier.

As if her prayers were answered, Lira saw a long metal rod swooshed at her side, hitting her captor's head that made him stumble backwards loosening his grip on her arm. Another pair of arms suddenly grabbed Lira's shoulder and she realized she was now standing behind Matt, his arms raised in defense.

"Feeling so brave tonight, boys?" Matt sneered.

"Oh it's you again," one of the vampires said. "How nice of you to join the party."

"Let us pass through and no one gets hurt," Matt threatened.

"Empty threats, slayer," the vampire hissed and the three vampires started flying towards Lira and Matt, their claws bared and fangs glistening in the night.

Matt shoved Lira farther behind sending her sprawling on the ground. Matt then lunged to the side avoiding the vampire's attack. He raised his metal rod and struck the vampires back so forcefully Lira thought she heard bones crackling. Another vampire appeared at Matt's side and he ducked slightly then his fist thrust forward hitting the attacker's abdomen, sending the vampire flying in to the air.

Lira was stunned with what she was witnessing right before her eyes; it was a real battle between a soon-to-be Elite Guard and vampires. She knew vampires have super human strength and speed, but Matt was able to equal them all. The vampires moved fast with their lithe movements but Matt was able to keep up with their speed, knew when they would strike next.

Lira stood and looked around her to see if there was anything she could use to protect her and help Matt. Suddenly, a vampire materialized before her while the other two vampires distracted Matt in a battle. The vampire's eyes shone with intense hunger and his claws were pointing towards Lira, ready to grab her throat. All of a sudden, the vampire flew to the side as if a great wind or force shoved him away. Everything happened so fast that Lira could have sworn she didn't even bat her eyes and yet she never saw a new vampire appeared before her. He loomed over Lira, towering her several inches high, his arm was outstretched to his side at the direction where her previous attacker flew. His terrifying pitch black eyes were ablaze, and he bellowed, "Enough!"

The remaining three vampires scrambled on their feet, fear very prominent in their stricken faces. They hastily made a low bow. Lira held Nicholas Imperial's gaze for a brief moment before he broke it and strode towards the three vampires. With one swipe of his hand he sent all three vampires flying across the garden. Lira's fear intensified when she realized even Matt was no matched for Nicholas' strength. Matt suddenly appeared beside her, grabbed her hand and pulled her to move. Lira was still in shock that she did not notice Matt half dragging her outside the garden. It was a moment later when she realized that they were already on the steps of their dormitory.

Matt was still panting for breath when he shook Lira's shoulders and shouted angrily, "If you ever pull a reckless stunt again, I swear I'm going to throttle you myself!"

That had gotten Lira out of her shock. "You saved my life from the vampires so you can threaten to kill me."

Matt clenched his jaw, obviously grappling for control.

Lira however was very much grateful that she was spared from becoming a vampire's dinner. So she gave Matt a weak smile, held his hand and said, "thank you, for saving me out there."

Matt momentarily looked baffled before he gruffly said, "go to your room."

Lira gave Matt another smile and went inside the dorm.

***

Matt was beyond angry. He was furious! How dare those parasitic creep attack one of the students in the Academy. How dare they try to hurt Lira! He was going to report this to the division first thing in the morning. For the last seven years, he knew there had been no reported attacks from the vampires within the academy. And now the vampires suddenly decided to go astray? Philip's going to be pissed when he hears this.

Matt went back to the garden, knowing Nicholas would still be there. He neared the middle of the garden when he saw Nicholas' outline in the dark. He was almost near the vampire when Matt extracted a dagger from its sheath and placed it at the prince's throat. "Give me one good reason why I shouldn't decapitate you now?" he spat.

Nicholas moved the sharp blade away from him with his finger and stepped away from Matt. "You're risking too much by killing me. You want war between my clan and your group, slayer?" He assessed Matt insolently. "And for obvious reasons, you're just no match for me."

"Tell your dogs to back off and never to attack any one here. Or else my group will wipe out your clan."

Nicholas laughed. "I always love your threats, Matteo. They never fail to amuse me."

Matt eyed the vampire with disdain. "I wasn't trying to amuse you."

"I can't even blame them for wanting a taste of her. It was her scent that allured them to be here. It's the sweetest scent I have ever smelled. Even I was drawn to be here when I smelled her passing nearby. Even a chaste vampire will not be able to resist sinking his fangs into her flesh."

Matt raised his dagger and pointed it at Nicholas' heart. "You do not talk about her as if she's a piece of meat."

Nicholas shook his head. "Matteo, Matteo. Anything that lives and breathes and has blood flowing in them is—how did you phrase it? Ah yes—a piece of meat in our eyes. That includes you."

Driven by revulsion, Matt threw the dagger at Nicholas aiming at the vampire's heart. Nicholas merely side-stepped and the dagger hit the gnarled tree behind him instead.

"This conversation bores me. Tell your friend never to wander the garden at night. This place is where—how would you young people say it?—hangout at night," Nicholas said before blending in the dark.