Did I Mention

CHAPTER 8

CHAPTER 8

(Val POV)

Later that night we all sneak into the kitchen to make the love spell which is ironically food. I'm reading from the spell book while Mal and Evie make the cookies.

"All right. It says that we still need one tear, and I never cry," I explain.

"Let's just chop up some onions," Carlos says as he grabs an onion.

"No. It says that we need one tear of human sadness," I state.

"And this love potion gets the best reviews, so we have to follow it exactly," Mal explains.

"A tear's a tear," Jay says.

"That's not true, Jay. They both have antibodies and enzymes, but an emotional tear has more protein-based hormones than a reflex tear," Evie explains.

"Listen to you," I compliment Evie with a smile on my face.

"Yeah, I knew that," Jay says.

"Did not," Carlos says as he lightly hits Jay's arm.

"Yeah, I did," Jay argues. Lonnie then enters the kitchen and I throw a towel over the spell book.

"There you are, Mal and Val! I was looking for you both. You know, all the girls want you to do their hair!" Lonnie explains as she walks over. "Midnight snack, huh? What you are guys making?"

"Nothing special. Just cookies," Mal answers her. Lonnie then dips her finger into the bowl before eating the dough.

"Oh, no, no! Wait, wait, wait!" Mal, Evie and I call out to her as she does it.

"What? I'm not gonna double dip," Lonnie says.

"Feel anything?" Evie asks her.

"Yeah, like maybe it might be missing something?" Mal adds on.

"Hey, there," Jay flirts which earns an eye roll from me and a confused look from Lonnie.

"It could use some chips," Lonnie says before walking over to the refrigerator.

"Chips?" I ask.

"And those are..." Mal adds.

"Chocolate chips. Just the most important food group," Lonnie says as she puts some into the dough before eating some. "Wait, didn't your moms' ever make you guys, like, chocolate chip cookies? Like, when you're feeling sad, and they're fresh from the oven, with a big old glass of milk, and she just makes you laugh and puts everything into perspective and..." All of our faces turn sad and fall. None of our parents never really cared about us. "Why are you all looking at me like that?"

"It's just different where we're from," I answer her sadly.

"Yeah, I know. I just, you know, I thought... Even villains love their kids. Oh... How awful," Lonnie says as she holds my hands in comfort. A tear then rolls down her cheek. Mal notices it and wipes it onto her finger before dropping it into the bowl.