Chapter 12: Five Days Earlier

AIDEN’S POINT OF VIEW

“Seriously, dude, I don’t see the problem,” Murphy chuckled as he took another sip of his beer.

“You really are delusional, you know,” I teased and held up the pair of pink panties in my hand.

“OK, let’s just go back a minute. Are you sure that those are this Leah girl’s?” Anthony asked, slightly amused.

“Yes! Why the hell do you find this situation so funny?” I growled.

“Because it is funny! Do you have any idea how many guys would enjoy finding those in their car? She’s just a chick with a crush. Lighten up man,” Murphy replied.

“Did you not listen to all of the things she said in the motel room? There’s something not right about that girl. You guys might find this whole thing entertaining, but I’m not about to witness the destruction of my marriage before it even starts!” I said in frustration and got up.

“Hey, hey, where are you going?” Anthony asked, standing up in front of me.

“Home.”

“Aiden, come on man. We were just messing. We didn’t realize you are this bothered. Just cool off a bit, have a drink, and we’ll get to the bottom of this.”

I hesitated for a minute before giving in.

The truth is I didn’t want to go home. I was still trying to avoid April. She wanted answers, and I just couldn’t give them to her. Explaining what happened at the motel with Leah would mean having to explain why I lied. I look guilty, and that is the bottom line. I don’t know whether Leah has a thing for me and doesn’t like me having a fiancée, but she is out to destroy me right now.

Sitting down in the chair, I took a deep breath and rubbed my forehead.

“You OK?” Taise asked, quietly.

“I will be once I sort out this mess,” I replied.

“Look, dude sorry for making a joke of this. I didn’t get that it was really getting you down,” Murphy added, calmly.

“It’s OK. It’s not your fault, it’s mine. I’m the one who lied to April, and I’m the one who got myself into this.”

“Yeah, but you didn’t know how things were going to turn out. Honestly, I just think she’s playing games with you. She has some stupid school-girl crush, that’s all. She has probably deleted the picture and just wanted to make you sweat a little because you brushed her off,” Murphy added.

“Yeah, you’re probably right. It was just weird today. She literally acted like nothing had happened.”

“Yeah, it’s all a part of the game. She’s forgotten about it, and so should you. Forget her, let’s have some fun, yeah?” Murphy said with that mischievous smile on his face.

“Why does the word fun always scare me when it comes out of your mouth?” I questioned.

“Yeah, I second that,” Anthony added.

“Guys, I’m hurt that you would think so little of me,” he said with a huge smirk on his face. “I’ll be back in a bit. Taise you’re coming with me, I need your help.” Oh dear, this can’t be good.

“Sure,” Taise grumbled, rising to his feet.

“We’ll be back in ten. Stay awake ladies, it’s going to be a long night,” Murphy said before walking out the door, looking extremely pleased with himself.