Chapter 2: Ten Days Earlier

APRIL’S POINT OF VIEW

“Come in,” I said when I heard the knock on my office door.

       “Hi, am I disturbing you?” Marie asked as she peered around the door.

       “No, come on in,” I replied in a happy tone.

       “Great, I just wanted to check if it was still OK for me to take off next week for my sister’s wedding?”

       “Yeah, of course it is. I’ve already got it on my calendar,” I said, smiling at her.

       “Sorry, I just keep feeling like I’m going to forget something, so I have to keep checking. This maid of honor role is making me nervous,” she said. We both began to chuckle.

       “Yeah, I can imagine, but don’t worry, I have it all sorted for you.”

       “Thank you so much, April,” she said, smiling.

       “No problem.”

       “Aren’t you supposed to be going now?” she asked, looking down at my paper-filled desk.

       “Yes, I just wanted to make sure we have all of the new health forms in,” I said. “Do we?”

       “Almost, I’m just waiting on Mrs. Baker’s form for Charlie. I gave her a call, so she should bring it in when she comes to pick him up today. Will you just make sure that you put it with all of the others, please?”

       “Yes,” she replied.

       “OK, I’ll leave you to it. Oh, did you say that Kyle was picking you up today?”

       “Yes, I’m still waiting for my car to be repaired,” I said as I thought about how many problems it had been giving me lately.

       “OK, I’ll call you when he is here then,” she said, disappearing through the door.

       “Thanks, Marie.”

       Sitting at my desk, I finally felt a calmness come over me. Everything had changed so much in the eight years since the accident, but they were good changes.

       Four years ago, I decided to open up my own day-care center. I’ve always loved children, and I guess it just came naturally to me. One thing I learned was that running your own business is far from easy. I really struggled in the first year, trying to compete with already established day-care centers. It came as both a surprise and a relief when Crystal and Jess decided that they wanted to join the business two years ago.

Since we became partners, we have opened up four different locations and each averages about fifteen children who attend almost five days a week. We officially changed the name from “Reinharts” to “JCA’s Angels” a year ago. We each run a different center and hired a manager to run the fourth one. We stopped breaking even two years ago, and now earn a nice profit every year. I really can’t ask for more.

       Life in general has been great. We’ve officially moved into our beautiful new house. We are hosting a house-warming party today, which is why I need to get my head out of these papers and get a move on. I’m just….

       “Hey, Kyle’s here,” Marie said, interrupting my thoughts.

       “Oh, great. Tell him that I’ll be out in five minutes.”

       “OK.”

       I quickly gathered all of the papers on my table, packed them neatly away, picked up my purse, and headed for the door.