c h a p t e r 7 ; middle of somewhere

CHAPTER SEVEN, The Girl Who Read [And the Boy Who Kissed Her]: middle of somewhere

        ❝ I still remember the day I first met you and smile because it was the best day of my life.

                         anonymous

        He was probably the cheesiest guy you could pick up for miles. You could probably sense his cheesiness. Yes, he believed in true love, or love at first sight. He still remembered her in her knee-high, pale violet, rubber rain boots, her hair in wet strands from the rain down pouring on them, in two long braids, rolling over her shoulders and ending with wisps. Her bright pink raincoat nearly trailed on the drenched pavement, drowning her body with it's enormous size.

        He remembered seeing the rose tint cover her chubby cheeks from the cold, a woolen hat perched atop her head. And while she read, unknowingly whispering the words from the pages to him as well, shivers traveling up and down his spine, he didn't just fall for her. Oh no. He fucking face-planted off of Mount Everest.

        His legs quivered under the booth, and he firmly put his hand over it to ease the shaking. A woman with a few grey flyaway hairs walked over to them. She grinned kindly at them and took out a notebook. "Hi, and welcome to Frankie's Diner! May I take your order?"

        "Hi, yes, um," His girl's voice piped up. "Could I please have a Frankie Fantastic, white bread, hold the mushrooms in the omelet, M&M's in the pancakes, fruit cup on the side, and could you change the sausage to bacon? Oh, and a chocolate milk for the drink." Spencer looked at her, a little aghast. How could that tiny body hold that much food? The only other person that he's ever seen that ate that much was his sister. Thank God she wasn't one of those healthy girls at school who had salads every day.

        "And you, dear?" The aging waitress smiled at him, still writing down Skylar's order.

        "Could I please have the... Big Burger? No onions, extra pickles? And for the drink, could I please have a chocolate shake, and a couple cherries?"

        She winked at the pair and replied, "Coming right up!"

        As she left, he turned towards his blushing date and rubbed the back of his neck. "Uhh... I just have to say, I'm really sorry for how the past couple days have turned out."

        "Spencer, it's fine," She grinned, picking at her nails. "They were actually some of the best dates I've ever been on."

        He blinked a couple times. "Are we on the same page? The, um, son of a bitch ticket seller? Excuse my language," His face tinged pink. "And the... Beach incident? And the Augustus Waters drama? Hell, I nearly cried, yet you liked it?"

        She bit her lip and smiled, tucking in some of her hair behind her ear. "Nobody's ever gone through that much trouble for me."

        Whoa, he wasn't expecting that. "It wasn't t-trouble. If anything, I was the one giving you trouble."

        She gave him a flat look. "I played dead, beat up a guy our age, and cried in your lap. I hardly think that's your fault."

        He replied, "With anyone else, I could find that a little... Unique. And with you, it was unique. But I had fun. Strangely."

        The waitress came back and placed a mountain of food on their table. They quickly began chomping away. Taking a sip from his chocolate shake, he dug around with the red and white striped straw for the cherries. He popped one in his mouth and held the stem. After chewing, he put the stem in his mouth. She looked at him with a befuddled look on her face and asked, "What are you doing?"