Episode 58

Hue

"You ready, babe?" I tuck Novy's hair behind her ears.

Nasa tapat kami ng bahay nila. Ang sasakyan ng Mom niya ang una naming nakita noong makarating kami dito. Siguradong nasa loob na siya ng bahay.

Puno ng pag-aalala ang mga mata niya noong tinignan ako. I chuckle and pinch her cheeks. "I'll be fine. 'Wag kang mag-alala. I won't run away."

Nagpakawala siya ng malalim na buntong hininga. Hinawakan niya ang kamay ko. She squeezed it when she said,"Basta kapag nagsalita si Mom ng masakit, pasok sa isang tenga, labas sa kabilang tenga." The usual glint on her eyes is nowhere to be found. Halatang kabado siya.

"Okay?" She cupped my cheeks.

I smile and nod. Inilapit ko ang mukha ko sa kanya at hinalikan siya. I need to distract myself. Kinakabahan din kasi ako, shit.

As I pull away from our kiss, I gave her an assuring grin that I will be fine. "Let's go?"

Nag-aalangan siyang tumango. Bumuntong hininga muna siya nang malalim bago nagpasyang lumabas ng kotse. Agad ko naman siyang sinundan. Hinawakan ko ang kamay niya noong binuksan ko ang gate.

On cue, Mrs. Zarina Amorsolo went out of her house like a territorial and wild grizzly bear. Her eyes are flaming. The instensed anger is evident by the way how the color of her face began to turn crimson.

For a moment, I was intimidated but when I stare at Novy's petrified face, I know that I have to be her strength. I gently move her on my back. Hinarangan ko siya laban sa Nanay niyang ano mang oras ay aatake.

"Good afternoon, Ma'am." My voice is neutral. I didn't turn my gaze away from her enraged eyes.

She started to walk towards me. With her raising eyebrow, she told me, "Sullyvan Huego Barameda. Son of Brandon and Iztella Barameda and grandson of the cruel Cornelia Entrata. The heir of Entrata Estate Company."

"Yes, Ma'am." I swallow, "And I will marry your daughter." Please, say yes. I don't want to spill some hideous revelation about the history of your family to mine.

"You wish. I will never," it caught me off guard when she slapped me on the face, "let that happen." Sa sobrang lakas noon, ramdam ko ang pamumula ng pisngi ko ngayon. Novy is about to move when I stop her.

I recovered quickly. I ball my fists. "I will still marry her without your permission."

I equalled the tension on her eyes. You are leaving me with no choice but to go down our families' worst memory lane. "I love her. I fucking love her and I will do everything just to keep her safe. If you are still thinking about what had happened back then when you are still a teenager, I will never let that happen again to us." My eyes are full of conviction. "Not on my watch."

Natigilan siya sa aking sinambit.

"I promise you." My eyes are pleading now.

"I will never let your family scam my family again." She slapped me again, this time, harder. "Now, leave." Puno ng galit ang kanyang mukha noong ituro niya ang kanyang daliri sa direksyon ng gate. Gagalaw na sanang muli si Novy pero pinigilan ko uli siya.