James - Waiting for Amber

James sat at “The Kitchen” restaurant bobbing his head with music on his earbuds.

He was lightly singing along with the music with his eyes closed and clicking on a laptop computer which was seated on the dinner table.

“Loving you today…” He sang lightly and then he clicked the computer rewinding the music.

“Hell naw.” James said angrily while listening to his song.

He picked up the wireless mic and said, “2:15, fix song.”

He hit the rewind button again on the laptop.

Then James phone buzzed.

“Yeah…” James said into the phone.

“You gonna be ready to deal with that track tomorrow?” Carl Drake, the producer, said.

“I know you ain’t interrupting my date.” James said.

“Date? You ain’t working? Why do I fool with you?” Carl said.

“I’ll be ready Carl.” James emphasized the name.

“You are on a date, and I am working. I just got off the phone with Buster and he is working. And you are on a date.”

“I’ll be ready Carl.” James repeated himself.

“Whatever man.” Carl said.

James said, “OK man, I’m done…Bye.” And hung up.

James closed his computer and said to himself, “I’ve had hits on the charts when that fool was in diapers.”

The time was 8:30. James thought to himself, “She late, I got work to do, let me get up out of here.”

He looked around and called for the waiter.

“Yes…” The waiter asked.

“You know, my date is late and I think I’m gonna call it a night. Just give me the check and I will call it a night.”

“Sure, of course.” The waiter said as he rushed over to another table.

A skinny young white man in a tuxedo walked up to James table.

“James Williams, I am one of your biggest fans.” The man said.

“Glad to hear it.”

“I learned to play piano trying to play one of your songs.” The man gushed.

James smiled. “Thank you man.”

“I’m going to play some music for ambiance tonight in the restaurant, but I would love if you would sing a song with me.”

“Well, I wish I could, but I’m about to leave. Thanks for coming over.” James said.

The man’s countenance dropped.

“Now hold on, keep your head up. These folks came to eat and be entertained, now entertain them.”

The man smiled and walked over to the piano.

James sat there for a moment longer chomping on another breadstick. He began thinking about Carl again. “Why does Carl think I’m gonna jump everytime he says boo.” James thought.

He picked up his phone to call Buster. He dialed the number with the full intention of another gripe session.

“That guy is out of his mind,” James said to Buster right when Buster answered the phone.

“Who? What the hell are you talking about?” Buster said.

“Who else could it be? Carl is nagging me.”