Thursday Afternoon - James

It was Thursday morning and James Williams was at his house talking to Buster Cole.

“When is that fool Carl gonna call me so we can get our stuff together? I got a best of recording to finish and some new projects.” James asked Buster.

“Carl is waiting for you to apologize.” Buster said.

“Apologize? His dumb ass need to apologize to me.” James said angrily.

“I don’t care who’s fault it is dog, you better apologize or you ain’t gonna get any more songs out of him.”

James shook his head and then sat for a moment.

“Plus, he is really the hot producer right now, he don’t really need you and is really doing all this for you because of the past. For old times sake.” Buster said.

“Stop this shit dog and go head and apologize, you know you gonna do it.” Buster continued.

James laughed, “You right…” He picked up his cell phone out of his pocket and tried to turn it on. It wouldn’t come on. He tried again.

“Looks like my phone is dead, let me charge it.”

James went and plugged it in and it immediately began vibrating.

“You have twenty missed calls.” The phone said.

“Hell, someone is really trying to get in touch with you.” Buster said.

James laughed, “I bet you it was Carl. Let me see.”

While it was still plugged up and charging he looked at the first call it was Kelly Phillips, his on again off again ex girlfriend.

“It’s Kelly…” James said.

“What does she want?” Buster asked.

“I don’t know, but let me see who else called first.”

James clicked down. And saw it was Kelly again.

“Kelly must really want something.” James said while clicking down again.

James listened to the message.

“Hey James, I am gonna be in Town today and want to meet you if I can. Call me.” Kelly Phillips’ message said.

“Damn, Kelly wants to meet me today.” James said.

“Meet you, so what is that just a booty call?” Buster said.

“And you know this…” James said.

He listened to her next message.

“Come on James, I know you mad at me, but come on, give me a call.” Kelly whined on that message.

“I need to call her back.” James said to Buster.

“Naw Dog, see what the other messages are first.”

James saw the next message was Thompson Travel Agency.

“It’s Thompson Travel Agency.” James said, he skipped the message to the next one.

“It’s Thompson Travel Agency again.”

He kept skipping.

James then said, “All the messages are Thompson Travel Agency.”

“Oh yeah, ain’t you got that date with them today?” Buster asked.

“Damn, I meant to cancel that, man I got caught up with all the work we doing.” James answered.

“Man, and Kelly is in town…Let me call them now and cancel this meeting.” James said.

James called Kelly.

“Where the hell have you been?” Kelly answered the phone.

“My phone was dead, I just got your message.”

“Baby, I’m over here thinking about how great it wold be to have you in me.” Kelly said.

James felt the wave of excitement grow in him, but then he said, “That ain’t what you said the last time we talked.”

“What, why you gonna bring that up? That’s ancient history.” Kelly said.

“Then you gonna clown me in the tabloids, I don’t even know why I am talking to you.”

“You were acting like a punk.”

“Acting like a punk? I told you I loved you and I wanted to take our relationship to the next level and I’m acting like a punk.” James said angrily.

“Come on, why don’t you come over here, bring a glass of wine, and we can talk about this later…” Kelly said seductively.

“You know what, I’m bout to…I can’t tonight, I have a date.” James said.

“A date? With who.” Kelly laughed.

“None of your damn business.” James said.

“Well, when your little date is over, and you are ready for someone to rock your world, then come on over to my hotel. Just give me a call.” Kelly said.

“Bye Kelly.” James said.

“I’ll hear from you tonight baby.” Kelly said when hanging up.

“That woman get on my damn nerves.” James yelled to Buster.

“Yep…but you keep wanting to go back to her, I told you to leave her alone.” Buster Responded.

“I know…I know” James said.

“Every time you talk to her you can’t do a thing in the studio for a couple weeks.” Buster said.

“Well, let me call Thompson and cancel that date.” James said.

“Hell no. You ain’t gonna do that, you are gonna go on this vacation.” Buster said.

“Well…I can’t force Amber to go on this trip with me.” James said.

“Right…Right…Just tell that woman that you ain’t gonna force her to go.” Buster said.

Then Buster waited a moment and said, “I got it, tell her you are gonna take your best friend Buster instead of her. You know we can have a trip with just the boys. In fact, let’s get Carl to go and we can make it a working trip. I bet you we can really get some good recording in Panama.” Buster continued.

“Negro, why would I take you on my trip?” James laughed.

“Because we boys and you know we got some work to do.”

James sat there for a moment while he considered what to do.

James then said, “OK man, If you can get Carl to agree, then I will take you two knuckleheads on the trip.”

“Boom…yes sir, I gotta get my swim trunks.”

“I thought you said this was gonna be for work?” James joked.

“It’s for work and for play. You don’t know how much action a brother can get just being your friend.” Buster said.

“Well, get up out of here so I can get ready for my date tonight.” James said.