A Proposition

“Hey Amber.” Melissa Lester yelled from her cubicle towards Amber Thompson’s open office door.

Amber Thompson ignored her.

“Come on girl, I know you hear me, you are only about 3 feet from me.” Melissa whined.

Amber looked at her computer monitor and punched a few keys in an attempt to ignore Melissa’s aggravating interruption.

“I really need your help on this one.” Melissa knew how to make her voice sound loud and shrill at the same time.

Amber stood up. And drug herself over to her door to answer Melissa. She stuck her head out of her door and said, “Why do you act like you are the boss and I am your employee?”

“Girl, you know.”

“What do you want?” Amber said emphasizing each word.

“James Williams just called and…” Melissa said.

Amber “Let me guess. He wants a trip to Hawaii and he gave you a three week notice?”

“Naw girl it is a trip to Aruba and he gave us one week notice.” Melissa answered.

“What is this the third or the fourth time he has called with a last minute request, I have the mind to drop him.” Amber said.

“It is the fifth time in the last two years.”

“That guy sure think he is something.” Amber said.

Amber, a slender woman in her mid 30s who always walked with precision and purpose marched over to Melissa’s desk. That morning, like every morning, she pulled her blond hair tightly in a bun. Her functional business suit was too lose to show many of her curves. The skirt reached down to her ankles and she wore flats.

“Why didn’t you take care of it? You are the one who begged for the James Williams account.” Amber said while changing her voice to mimic Melissa’s.

“Come on, stop playing. James Williams wants a vacation in Aruba next week.”

“So give the man a vacation in Aruba next week.” Amber cut Melissa off.

“I just looked into all of our usual resorts and there are no openings.”

“Did you tell him that, we have plenty of other places that can accommodate him, you do realize that James Williams is one of our biggest clients.”

“I know, but he won’t budge, he said Aruba or nothing.”

“What did you tell him?”

“I told him that I would see what I can do.”

“And so why aren’t you seeing what you can do?”

“I don’t know what to do.” Melissa said. “I know he often uses us, he just sounded so mad. Like he was mad at me. He said that if we can’t get him in Aruba he would stop using us. I don’t know what I can do…” Melissa continued

Amber had been in the travel agency business for 15 years. She took it over from her father when he passed away. So she had heard that kind of threat before. She figured that James wasn’t going to stop using the firm.

“Calm down, there is no way that he would stop using the agency when it was so good about keeping both his business private as well as his plans private.” Ashly said after taking a breath.

“I know but…” Melissa said.

Amber laughed, You know OK, it isn’t your fault, James can be a bit of an…’’