Prologue

High school sweethearts as most would call us; I fell fiercely and violently when we first met at fifteen. He was leaning against the lockers in the school corridor when I laid eyes on him for the very first time. My heart raced at the sight of him, pounding against the inside of my chest so hard that I thought it would nearly explode. I walked past, blushing as my gaze dropped the second our eyes locked. Luckily for me, he felt the same way too.

I looked at him with love and complete devotion and always craving his deep blue eyes on me. Often, I'd look up to see him staring right back, gazing ever so lovingly towards me and sneaking hidden glances during classes. Even when we finished school and moved in together, he would always watch. At night, Brody would always hold me as if I were about to disappear, never wanting to let go.

Fast forward eleven years and two children later, the only thing exploding of late was my anger towards him. The fire of passion between us was no longer explosive. Lovemaking was a rare, occasional occurrence, and I had no clue what foreplay was involved of anymore. Was it spitting on my own fingers or giving him a quick grab? I didn't know. I just knew it wasn't what it should have been.

Every touch, lingering kiss and glance towards each other were just for show. Behind the large wooden door of our home, we were anything but happy. Living a lie, it was what we'd become accustomed to. This was our life.

To everyone else, we appeared the perfect couple. Deep down, I knew the divorce was near.

We spent most nights apart, sleeping in separate bedrooms. I hated it. I hated that we'd grown to loathe each other. The undeniable attraction was still here, just fizzled out. Neither of us was willing to try to keep the spark alive or to keep what we once had. Both of us had given up.

His personal life was suffering because work always came first. Brody worked hard all the time. I won't deny that. He had thrown himself into becoming the best he could, climbing the ladder to the top. I said nothing when I really should have spoken up the second I began feeling left out. My thoughts were kept hidden away and left unsaid.

His family never noticed, too busy engrossed with their own lives to notice just how bad things had become. Brody's mother loved her weekly family dinners and the yearly vacations. We would always manage to avoid those. Using work as the perfect excuse when in all honestly, we just couldn't stand to be in the same room with one another for two weeks, which was a sad but true harsh reality.

I was unable to complain too much as Brody had given me a wonderful life, a beautiful six-bedroom home, much bigger than we needed, but it was ours. Brody earned enough to keep the bills paid and then some. After Noah was born, I stayed home full time, taking the new job title as a housewife.

It was hard at first as I had always loved my job, enjoying the daily interactions with other adults and feeling like I mattered. Now, I was used to being a stay-at-home mother, enjoying my children and living life through them.

Pathetic, I know. I just didn't know how miserable that would make me in the end.