Chapter 22

Boy POV
--------------
She was gorgeous. I could sit here with her all day like this. It was the perfect moment. I was feeling like Peeta, wanting to freeze this moment and live in it forever. She was laughing and flipping her hair as she ran up the stairs to throw an orange off the balcony to me. It managed to keep her so very easily entertained.
"Ready?" she yelled down to me, her voice mesmerizing.
"Yes," I answered, smiling like a madman. "Give me all you've got.... Babe."
"I still don't like it." We'd been trying nicknames for over half an hour and she didn't like one of them.
"So not sweetheart, babe, gorgeous, lovely, deary, kitty, beautiful, butterfly, or Jay Jay?" I asked. She nodded as she dropped the orange. I caught it skillfully and she ran to the stairs to start skipping down them again. "This is so hard! You're putting me through misery here!" She grinned down at me as she began her second flight of stairs happily.
"Call me Misery," she said in a serious voice.
"Hecka to the no, bro!" I said in the same tone she usually said it.
"Hey! Jerk!" She punched my arm playfully. "I'm serious. Call me Misery." She winked at me.
"Never!" I tried to think of another nickname. "Speedy." She gave me a slight look of approval.
"I don't mind that one too much. You're getting somewhere now." I smiled successfully.
"Okay... How about.... Catnip?" She laughed.
"Love it. But it's been taken." I nodded in agreement. We needed something original. Why was this so difficult for me? I ran her name through my head half a million times but nothing came to mind. Britnee? What nicknames were there besides Brit?
"Um... How about..." I didn't want to say this one out loud, since it was my nickname for her that me and Chris use, but who knows. She might like it. "Kay May?"
"What?" she asked between laughs.
"When me and Chris went to see Mockingjay for the 3rd time we assigned each of our friends a character. We had every character a person assigned to them that matched their personality, except Katniss. Farther into the movie we got the more I decided Katniss was you. I suggested it, Chris agreed, and you became Katniss." She nodded as she listened. "Well Geoff was there too-" I began.
"GEOFF! Oh my Peeta!!! I love Geoff!" Geoff was Chris's younger brother. He had met Britnee awhile back and they had clicked immediately, which was strange. Geoff was extremely shy and even I still wasn't exactly his friend after 4 years, but he and Brit were besties instantly. They had kept in touch and often did many things together. Needless to say, Brit always called him 'my sweet little brother, Geoff'. And her and him might as well be siblings for all the time they spend together. They were great for each other.
"Yes. Geoff," I continued with a smile. She was so excited at hearing her little buddy's name. It was cute. "He said that we could call you Kay because your middle name was May. Katniss plus May is Kay. It kinda stuck. We call you that all the time." She was quiet as she thought about it. "Kay May," I repeated quietly, letting the words roll off my tongue.
"I like it." I looked up at her in shock.
"Really?!" I had finally found it! The perfect-
"No," she answered seriously. I felt all my excitement drain. Another one turned down I- "I love it." She threw her arms around me and my smile renewed itself along with my excitement. Thank Spencer Smith we had found the perfect nickname.
"I'm glad we finally found one." She pulled away from me and looked at me inquisitively.
"You need a nickname now...." I prepared myself to turn down whatever she was about to suggest. If it was this difficult for me to find one she liked, it would be just as difficult for her. She walked around me a few times before she stopped in front of me and gave me an up down. "I got it." I smirked and crossed my arms across my chest.
"Shoot," I said, saying what she would.
"The boy with the jacket." My jaw about dropped. I wanted to argue and say I hated it, but the fact was I loved it. It had that touch of Hunger Games flare like mine did for her and yet pertained to me perfectly. I liked it, I liked it a lot. "Well?" she asked.
"Approved," I said after a few seconds of hesitation. I couldn't believe she'd done that so fast.
"Good!" She started to skip off toward the auditorium and I had to run to keep up.
"Where you going Kay?" She stopped in her tracks, but I kept going, which was a mistake. I ran smack into a wall. I fell on my back as pain exploded in my head. I expected her to help me up or come to my aid but she didn't, she burst out laughing hysterically.
"Oh... My.... Br-Brendon!" she stammered between laughs. "That was perfect!" I stood up and leaned against the wall while I tried to steady the spinning world. I began to become concerned when instead of stopping the spinning it began to grow worse. "Jake?" I heard her ask. It sounded muffled, like someone had covered my ears with a blanket. My vision started to blink with white lights. I shook my head in hopes of stopping it but there was no luck. I was beginning to freak out to be honest. I tried to lift my arm from my side, to steady myself against the wall with both my hands, but it felt like it was a ton of lead. My knees locked and I couldn't sit down. "JAKE!" Although I knew it was a yell it came to me as though it were a whisper. My vision was just bright lights at this point with a few spots of reality.
I wasn't sure how I could tell it was her, because my mind couldn't tell reality from dreamland at this point, but I knew it was. Her hands landed on my shoulders and she helped me lay down. Once I hit the cold ground, the soft comforting touch of reality that she brought was gone. I was pretty sure I was about to slip away into the dark world of unconsciousness when I felt something cold against my forehead. My temperature began to drop, I realized, from burning hot to an almost normal. Slowly my arms became less heavy and my vision came back to me leaving me with just a few spots here and there. As reality kicked in I realized I was on the ground, my legs elevated by Chris, Abby holding my hand nearly in tears, and Britnee handling the situation like it was nothing. I opened my mouth to say something, but she placed her cold hand over my lips.
"Shhhh, boy with the jacket. I just had to take it off for a moment. Focus on deep breaths." I nodded faintly and focused on taking in as much air as possible. I hadn't noticed she had taken off my jacket. I closed my eyes but at that moment she gently slapped me. "Keep your eyes open." I obeyed because I had never been more sure I was about to die then I had been just moments ago. Or... What felt like moments ago, but I realize it could've been minutes.
"Jake," Abby said. I looked at her groggily. I felt like I weighed three tons. "Why can't you just watch where you are going?" I stifled a laugh but my lungs burned and soon I was coughing. Coughing led to choking on the lack of air I was able to take in. Britnee grabbed a full cup near by and had me drink some water. I caught my breath soon after. Eventually, when I wasn't burning to the touch and could sit up on my own, Brit let me close my eyes on the promise that she could sit by my side and watch over me. I nodded off just as she grabbed my hand. I could only barely hear her last words before I slipped into the sweet, welcoming sleep.
"Boy with the jacket, I won't let you go. Not like Katniss let Peeta go. No. I won't."
*Hey guys! Sorry I haven't updated lately. But.... I'm back now! Hello! And here is an update!! ❤️/Mona Lisa*