Chapter 14

Boy POV
---------------
Yes. Yes. You're awesome. Look at her smile. Look at that laugh. Oh yes. You can flirt and make it work!
Britnee was smiling like she had just won the lottery. No... Britnee doesn't care about money like normal people. New simile. Britnee was smiling like she had just found a unicorn. Yup. That's more like it. I'm glad I could make her smile.
You're just glad you aren't an absolute failure at flirting.
Oh shut up, I wanted to yell that at my mind. Sometimes it was stupid. Sometimes it was dirty as well. Britnee could testify. I looked at her and smiled only to find her start laughing. I wondered what she found so funny. Only problem with Britnee: her laugh was so contagious it was impossible to not to laugh with her. I started to laugh only for her to laugh harder. Suddenly she slowly began to stop. She sat up straighter and tensed up. I looked where her gaze had landed.
Cheyne Grace.
I smiled at Cheyne and she waved very flirtatiously. I blushed a little and prayed Britnee wouldn't notice. I knew Britnee liked me, and she was great. Don't get me wrong. She entertained me to the max. But.... I wasn't sure what to do. I liked her, still... After two trimesters... But I didn't want to hurt her. That's why I couldn't say I do like her. That's why I ignored her and didn't tell her what I was thinking... Out of fear.
"Hey Jake!" Cheyne said pulling a chair up next to me. I felt Britnee push her chair farther from me. She knew I had liked Cheyne, and I'm pretty sure she still thought so.
"Hey Cheyne," I said trying to sound excited. I wanted Britnee to stick around. She made my day. I had a feeling though that as long as Cheyne was here, she would leave.
"How are you?" she asked. I glanced over at Britnee who was staring at her phone texting someone.
"Great. What about you Miss Grace?" I asked looking back at Cheyne. I heard Britnee grunt and when I looked over at her she shook her head.
What's wrong with her? my very stupid mind asked.
Well she likes you and you blow her off like she's nothing. I have NO idea what's wrong with her! my conscience snapped back, being sarcastic.
"I'm wonderful," Cheyne said finally. She scooted closer to me in her chair. I smiled. "I like your new jacket!" she remarked looking at it.
"Thank you!" I said back, extremely happy someone noticed.
"Zoo York brand. I have two jackets like that," Britnee remarked from next to me. She ran her hand through her hair, which I'd never seen her do before. She always pushed her bangs aside but never ran her hand through her hair like that.
"Sweet!" I exclaimed. Britnee was wearing one of those jackets now. I'd never seen a girl where jackets just as often as guys do. I liked that about her. She was willing to go against the norm.
"So Jake," Cheyne interrupted, "you ready for Dubois's class? Are you going to compliment that one office aide that always comes in again?" Britnee grunted again. Man. Was she mad at me or something?
"Oh yeah!" I said pushing Britnee's odd negativity aside. "Speaking of.... You look beautiful today Cheyne." I didn't even think before I said it, I just did. The few weeks I'd liked Cheyne I'd tried to compliment her since the guys I was up against would. It became a habit... And I was beginning to think a bad one.
Britnee stood up quickly and suddenly, causing the chair to push up against the wall. She started to walk off, iPad in hand, when I called out to her.
"Britnee!" I said quite loudly. She turned around and her eyes glistened, but not with happiness... With pure and utter hate.
"I've gotta go talk to Maryssa about Alex. She's freaking out about where he is," she said flatly.
Lie.
"Haha. She's funny. And dramatic, but I love her!" I could hear the anger in her voice, piercing into my skin.
"Okay. See you later then," I said hating on myself. She gave me an obviously fake smile that was dripping with just as much anger as her voice. She walked away, her hips swinging as she did so. She got over to her usual table she sat at and punched the wall.
You're an idiot. You are a big fat idiot. You blew it.
And while I thought about that, Cheyne wouldn't shut up.
*Wellllllllllllll. It's been so long! I'm so sorry I haven't updated! But I'm planning on trying to update much more often! I have so many chapters written that I just need to edit, so I promise I will be updating more often now! ❤️/ Mona Lisa*