Poor Sunshine (Ashton & Kadia)

Kadia was part of the little league soccer team. She went to every practice and played at every game. She was always there and for the most part, so was Ashton, excluding whenever he had class. And so were her friends and their parents. There were a lot of moms, Kadia noticed that as soon as she went to the first practice. Lots of them treated her nicely and gave her snacks.

Ashton was late picking her up after practice. It hadn't been the first time, but he'd promised last time would be the last. Kadia sat with her friends and his mom, eating goldfish and kicking the ball back and forth.  The mother smiled and waved once Ashton got close enough. Kadia ran to jump into his arms, waving goodbye to her friend. 

"Sorry, Sunshine. Class got out later today." He kissed her cheek. "How was practice?"

"Good. Daddy?"

"Hmm?"

"How come I don't have a mommy?" Ashton froze, midway through putting her seatbelt on. "Everyone on my team has a mommy except me." 

He thought about it for a second. He knew what he should say. Ashton just didn't want to say it. But wasn't it better to tell the truth? He sighed, climbing into the backseat with her and sitting down. Kadia adjusted herself so she was facing him.

"You do have a mommy." Ashton stared down at his hands. "But she left."

"Where did she go?" Kadia tilted her head to the side.

Ashton shrugged. "I don't know. She wasn't ready to be a mommy. She didn't think she could take care of you. So she gave you to me." He glanced up to study Kadia's expression. She looked thoughtful. 

"Does that mean she doesn't love me?" She'd asked so quietly that it could've gone unheard. But Ashton heard it loud and clear. 

He couldn't lie. "I don't know what that means." He pulled her out of her car seat and hugged her tightly. "But I love you enough for the both of us."

Kadia stayed quiet for a second before sniffling a little bit and leaning back to look at Ashton. "Does that mean you're kind of my daddy and my mommy?" Ashton laughed at the thought and nodded. 

"Yeah, I guess so." He sat up, helping her back into her seat. "Anymore questions?"

"Can we buy goldfish?" Kadia grinned at him as he started climbing over and into the driver's seat. 

"The snack or the animal?" He asked, starting the car.

"Both!"