Part 9

Dahlia's POV

When we arrived back to the castle, I stole another kiss from Remington before we exited the carriage and he kissed back with a satisfied grin on his face after he pulled away. I carried the material needed for my mother as we walked inside, and then I heard the pattering of small feet from somewhere and then the sight of a large dog brought back traumatic memories and caused me to drop the basket of clothing and back away as the dog ran up to Remington.

"Laila! I missed you, girl!", Remington crouched down to pet his dog who was smothering him with doggy kisses, and then he noticed I was drowning in my own fear as I sat away into the wall unable to go contain my fear as I wished for nothing but the dog to stay far from me. "Dahlia, are you alright?", he asked me and I shook my head, "Laila isn't going to hurt you, she's a sweet dog and would never hurt anyone", I knew he was trying to calm me down, but I couldn't get rid of the memory of the wild dog almost tearing at my skin and infecting my ears with its monstrous barks.

"Dahlia, look at me", he asked in a concerned tone and I shifted my focus from his dog to Remington's eyes, "Do you trust me?" I slowly nodded and then he affirmed, "I promise you...Laila will not hurt you. Okay?" I looked at him a bit apprehensively, but I knew deep in my heart I could trust him, and I nodded once more.

He then held one of my hands carefully and called for his dog, "Laila, come here", she obeyed and walked closer to where we were sitting, and then Remington petted her head while telling her, "Laila, meet Dahlia, she is the love of my life. After you." I smiled at his statement, and then Laila started panting happily which I thought was kinda cute. I slowly raised my hand to pet her and closed my eyes as I reached out to her.

I got a funny feeling on my hand and when I opened my eyes, she started licking my hand and it made me smile a little. "Scratch behind her ear", Remington suggested, "She likes it", and then I followed his advice and she was so adorable as she stomped her leg in ecstacy and my smile grew bigger as I relaxed a little more.

Then Laila moved away from my hand and toward me, making me scared again, but she ended up nuzzling herself against me and asking for comfort. I responded by wrapping my arms around her and resting my head on her. She was so warm and soft, this felt so nice and I didn't want to let go. "See, Dahlia", Remington reassured me with a slight grin, "Laila is the sweetest little angel ever. She already loves you. Just like me."

My heart stopped when he said that, and he looked at me with a hint of desires for me in his eyes. I stared back at him with my eyes wide and my mouth slightly open, trying to speak. "I-I...", I wasn't able to speak properly because I was in so much shock, but I eventually found the courage to respond to his bold statement, "I love you, too, Remington."

He smiled at me and leaned in to kiss my lips so sweetly and softly too. My heart melted to be in his gentle and loving grasp and I wished this moment could last forever. But I pulled away and stood back up to get the material for my mother and go back to work before she suspects anything. "See you later, Rem", I said to him and he responded with, "See you later, my love."

It was so much harder to focus on helping my mother this time, I couldn't stop thinking about Remington and how much he loves me. He could have easily taken any of my beautiful sisters who always get every boy they're interested in, but he chose me: an outcast in her own family whose broken face reflects her broken spirit. He called me beautiful, and no one has called me beautiful since my father before he passed away and Marguerite whose seen worse in her own village.

When my sisters got back from school, they continued trying to court Remington, but at least I know it's me he has in his heart. I noticed Prince Sebastian walking back inside and when he accidentally bumped into Sophie, they looked at each other like they was something deeper than just mutuals. Like they were...into each other. Then Sebastian apologized and Sophie kept looking at him as he walking away. I was starting to wonder if Sebastian was really in love with his fiancée or if he was in love with...someone else.

At dinner, Queen Stephanie and her sons announced the masquerade ball that would be taking place here in the castle and how they'll invite almost every important individual and even open up their doors to commoners who wish to attend. I really wanted to invite Marguerite to the ball because she's always wanted to see inside a castle and I think she would have a lot of fun then. Then Remington said a few lucky girls wearing the best masks would get to dance with him and his brothers. That made my sisters excited and he threw me a wink and knowing smirk.

When my family was out of sight, I asked Rem, "Can I invite my best friend to the ball? I think she would have a lot of fun." He smiled and kisses my forehead before answering, "Of course, my sweetness. Anything for you." I hugged him quickly and he took me to a place in the castle where he wrote a special invitation with Marguerite's name on it and asked one of his butlers to have it delivered as soon as possible.

Then he took me to his room, and went through a drawer in his desk finding something. Then he pulled it out and revealed me a beautiful masquerade mask that was so stunning and captivating, I loved it so much and it made me more excited for tomorrow night.

 Then he pulled it out and revealed me a beautiful masquerade mask that was so stunning and captivating, I loved it so much and it made me more excited for tomorrow night

"Remington", I exclaimed with joy, "It's so beautiful. I love it." He grinned and placed it it my hands. I looked at it once more, admiring it's antique details and magnificent handiwork, and then I felt his hand under my chin and he lifted my head up to look into his soft, delicate, big, beautiful eyes. "I can't wait to dance with you tomorrow, my little rag doll", he said before leaning his lips into mine and kissing me so softly. I felt myself blushing hard and he pulled away after almost a minute.

"I love you, Dahlia", he whispered to me and I responded with, "I love you, too, Remington." He kissed my cheek and then I exited out of his room to go back into mine. On my way there, I wasn't paying attention and I ran into Prince Sebastian. "Oh, Prince Sebastian!", I felt bad for bumping into him, "I'm so sorry, I wasn't paying attention, and I didn't mean to-" He laid a hand on my shoulder and reassured me, "Don't apologize, Dahlia. All I ask is that you take care of my brother and please don't hurt him." I was left speechless and he gave me a smile before walking away.

[This chapter was in special memory of Palaye's sweet dog, Laila who passed away this year and I wanted to honor her memory in a special way. 💗💗💗]