Chapter 8

Stripped bare, I hold my breasts tightly as we're made to line up with the other naked virgins. Missy shakes from head to foot, blushing so red as a whole army leers at us being staged, on show. All us innocents, had to fuck a whole army.

I really hoped Vlaric and Vladimir knew what they were doing.

I watch them as they stand back, while Agatha screams to the heavens in some strange language.

I think Rexion understands, because when I glance up, he's smiling and nodding, his eye patch making him easy to spot near the front lines.

He catches sight of me and winks, and I want to die.

This was so humiliating.

Vladimir and Vlaric stand by Rexion, heads held high... seemingly just another willing part of the baptism.

When Agatha is done screaming, she changes her tone and her words, so we can all understand, "This baptism by our God of Earth, cleanses the hearts of the men in your army, and brings them closer to purpose and fulfilment. For the proven glory of our God, I ask, that if the Goddess of Damned Eioth is real, that she strike these virgins down and prove herself a worthy deity," Agatha points to the virgins all lined up. The girls wait, obediently, "I didn't think so. Now, men, become the Brethren of Earth, and find your son in these girl's bellies. But first, bring the whip, Penelope, so we may purify the two who attempted to abscond, murdering an innocent holy soldier on our soil–"

"Agatha?" a shrill fearful plea, escapes the lips of the naked virgin, closest to the head of Ceremony.

"What is it?" Agatha hisses, turning, totally infuriated that she has been interrupted.

But the girl is shaking. Foam frothing out of her lips.

She drops.

And then the next girl drops.

Then the next.

Poison.

I glance at Vlaric and his blue eyes focus on mine intensely, and he tilts his head down, indicating... to follow.

Oh, shit. I look at Missy, she looks at me.

"I don't feel so good," I whisper to her, winking as secretly as I can.

I fall to the soil.

Missy collapses last. Next to me, her eyes are focusing on me.

I slowly close mine and I hope she follows suit.

The Nightingale Army fall into a shocked silent.

"Eioth striked them down!" one of the men screams, breaking the silence.

"Blasphemy!" Rexion snarls and the army must watch as I hear the perpetrator be dragged forward, and plunged through with a sword. I can't see it, but I hear it all.

"They're dead! They're all dead!" Agatha shrieks, "It is a sign from the God of Earth! They were all impure! Sluts!" she rambles off anything, anything at all, to avoid the topic of Eioth, "No one touch the skin of the bodies, they are cursed."

"This is insanity," Rexion stalks forward, "Stupid old hag, you call yourself a Sister of the Ceremony, what kind of fool do you wish to make me out to be?"

Agatha cries out and begs, "Please! I did nothing!"

"Sir!" Penelope's voice is heard, and I feel a boot collide with my back, kicking me, more soldiers walk close to peer in at us. I try not to breathe. The army are looking at us like insects, I can feel their gazes linger in confusion, "Please, sir, please, it's a sign of something. Our God is forewarning us."