Chapter 5

I wear what's on my back. I almost consider leaving a note for Dorkas, but in a moment of unforgiving rage, I choose to just disappear. Sooner or later she would work it out, that Vladimir and Vlaric were in the Nightingale Army. That I hadn't run off to get married; I had simply disappeared to be with my friends.

So, here I was. Proudly standing between Vlaric and Vlad, before a camp fire, with Rexion eating a leg of lamb, chewing the fat while assessing my worth during my introduction.

I was to be introduced as a squire!

Vlaric, Vlad and I had worked it all out before this, in the luxury Inn.

Vlaric begins, "This girl wishes to join the Priestesses of the Church of Earth, since we're on our way, she'll join us on the ride to our next destination," Vlaric speaks confidently and against out agreement. A squire. I was to be introduced as a squire! But no, I'm quick to realise he's changed my fate against my wishes to temporary traveller... Vlaric was going to drop me off with Missy. I knew it. I keep in my growing fury from betrayal and keep on my smile instead, as he continues, with Vladimir stiff at my other side, "Her name is Mona, an eighteen year old puritan, and she has Vlad's and my protection. That's all, really. That's the boring news we bring."

"Hmm, indeed boring. Other than the one fact. Why do you look so familiar, puritan?" Rexion asks, carefully, focusing his one eye on me, "I don't like that look on her face."

"She was here acting the whore last night!" Fredrick appears behind Rexion, from the shadowy flames of the camp, "Mona. You little slut. You knocked me out!"

"I don't know you," I lie.

"She was with us all night," Vlaric snarls at Fredrick, protecting me, "Liar."

"I do not lie!" Fredrick almost screams it, pointing a lamb chop at me, "Bitch!"

"You were so drunk you probably fucked a mule with a red tail," Vladimir sticks up for me, "We all know you could loosen up on the ale."

"I might not remember much, but I remember those tits!" Fredrick doesn't let up.

"Shut up! I don't care!" Rexion grabs the bone from Fredrick's hand and throws it at his face, "Get lost, it's a little girl, not some spy! Besides. I remember her now. Orphan."

"Correct, sir Rexion," I finally speak, proud, "I spent a year in the orphanage with both Vlaric and Vladimir, before you took them into your service," I take a step forward, feeling brave as I smirk and put my hands on my hips, "I'm old enough to go where I please now, and I choose my friends... my family... and the life of a priestess," I force that last part out, with a broad smile.

Rexion is lightly smirking while the other soldiers close by laugh.

I have no idea what's so funny.

"You're really stupid, girl," Rexion finally admits, insulting me for no reason, "Alright. Fine. String her along as a friend to be dropped off with the other priestesses... they'll welcome a puritan, if she really is one," Rexion wiggles his eyebrows and chuckles as he leans forward and winks at Vlaric, "Why are you so protective of her, boy?" Rexion then turns his eye to Vladimir, "What about you? You both fuck the whore?"

"Mona isn't a whore," Vladimir states, firmly, "She's under our wing and she requires protection until she is admitted into your faith – where we, too, will be baptised."

"Puritan or not, rivalry between young soldiers such as yourself is rife when it comes to your swords sharing sheaths. So. A small rule. Neither of you can fuck the young lass, privately or otherwise," Rexion nods, "Keep her pure. Don't make a fuss. Don't look at me like that, Vlaric. It needed to be said. You and Vlad might share the lasses often, but one day you'll fight for one... against one another. I won't be having any of that in my best swordsmen. Stop sharing. That's an order," Rexion is trying to keep in a wide smirk.