Chapter 6

Around the mountain, deep into a valley lies a small town called Hawkeye, but we have to climb a steep edge to the Church of Earth – sitting up high, nestled into the side of the green slopes.

The architecture of the massive Church looks like a castle and works well with the mountain's curved shape and the flat ledge it's sat upon. Around the structure are green gardens and narrow pastures for their own food supply, including mountain goats and chickens.

The whole place is beautiful and I shed a tear, hoping this means Missy was brought up in a comforting place.

I'm on my own horse, Vlaric stole one for me. Specifically; Fredrick's horse, called Feather.

I quite enjoyed the quiet white mare, who seemed relieved to get away from Fredrick's whip. I can see the marks of abuse, and the horse was too gentle to be under the hands of a buffoon such as him.

So, Feather is now my rescue horse.

We trot into the property at dawn, my ass and thighs don't hurt as much as I thought they might. It was a fun easy ride only up until this last climb. Feather led the way, quiet but confident around the narrow trails.

Now, we slow to a measured gait as we approach the cobble entry, an iron gate spells out Church of Earth. But it looks mangles and messed with. I can't pinpoint it until Vlaric explains.

"Church of Eioth," Vlaric speaks confidently, "...this hub was taken over by Rexion's faith. Rexion is a part of the Brethren of Earth – a belief system in which a God guides strict control over all things... but in Eioth beliefs, we worship a Goddess – who is generous in everything. Rexion's faith is the opposite to everything Vladimir and I ever knew, growing up."

"Well, Earth, Eioth, Peeoth, Pooith, who cares. You always read too much into things... and books... you still read when you get the chance, I bet," I laugh lightly, until I turn to see Vlaric's expression... and his usual handsome set face is cut in with a frown and haunted blue eyes.

I get the distinct impression I shouldn't be laughing.

"Knowledge isn't just power," Vladimir defends Vlaric, "It holds truth, Mona... and we're always asking questions to find the facts. It's best you keep open ears... but seal those lips. Or your big mouth will get you into trouble one day."

I roll my eyes, a bit naively.

I just didn't like to take life that seriously. I wanted to have fun and see Missy! Damn the history, damn the politics, damn the armies and the rules.

Vladimir's statement about my big mouth, has my chin rising.

"Missy!" I yell out and urge Feather forward.

I hear Vlaric hiss out genuine annoyance, "Mona!" he snaps through the morning fog and both boys hurry to catch up.

"Missy!" I scream more loudly and as I get closer to the old main structure, I see a door creak open and a young girl of about seven years, pokes her head out, then proceeds to slam the door shut and disappear.

I dismount from Feather at the steps, but I don't get far.

Vlaric and Vladimir quickly catch up, cutting me off from the front with their horses. Vlaric is glaring right through me and Vladimir is shell shocked at how brazen and rebellious I am.

"What?" I hiss, perhaps I'm being childish... but I had waited long enough.

I wanted to see Missy.

"Don't move," Vlaric dismounts and stalks his way toward me. I stand my ground and he pulls off the reins from Feather, grabbing my wrists in the process, "Now I have to change the story," he hisses in annoyance, tying up my wrists while I simply scowl at him in disgust.