Chapter Thirty One

I spend twenty minutes in the off-licence staring at the red wine selection and wondering which bottle to take to Aaron’s house. I don’t even know if he drinks wine. He seems to be more of a beer guy to me, but the huge array of North American beers freaks me out, so I stick to what I know. The shop has some familiar Chilean reds on offer, so I pick one. I wouldn’t think twice about taking two bottles to a friend’s house for dinner in London, but I don’t want to look like a complete lush.

I walk home via Main Street and end up bumping into Travis. He asks me what I’m doing later and it’s not hard to spot the mischievous glint in his eye.

‘Let me guess.’ I reply. ‘Aaron told Pierre, who told Jake, who told Taz, who then told you. Am I right?’

‘Kinda.’ he mumbles, completely caught out. ‘Irv’s been walking around with a massive smile on his face all morning. Everyone thinks his painkillers are too strong.’

‘He’s not even taking them!’ I exclaim. ‘And I’m only going to his house for dinner. That’s it. Just two friends, enjoying a nice meal together.’

Travis walks with me. ‘I don’t want to sound like a sap, but I’m real happy for you. You and Irv… you’re pretty perfect for each other.’

‘How come everyone in this sodding town thinks that?!’ I exclaim huffily.

‘Man, you’re tense…’ He grins. ‘You keep declaring that you’re happy to be single, so why the big deal?’

‘Do I say that a lot?’

‘Yeah… maybe’

‘I should just cancel. This is a really bad idea.’

‘Oh, no you don’t!’ he exclaims, grabbing the bag with my wine inside and jogging towards the café so I have to run to catch up.

I end up texting Taz.

FASHION EMERGENCY… HELP?

I plonk down heavily on the bed and look at the mess of clothes flung everywhere. I don’t have a clue where to start. My phone beeps.

BLACK SKINNIES, WHITE VEST + COOL POLKA DOT VEST OVER THE TOP? I’M COMING WITH JEWELLERY.

Half an hour later, Taz nods approvingly as I stand in the mirror.

‘You’re looking good, girlfriend.’ she whistles, looking me up and down. My black skinny jeans aren’t exactly as tight as they used to be, but they still look good. She’s lent me some black onyx earrings and a necklace from her vast jewellery collection and I’m wearing more mascara and kohl around my eyes than I have in months, giving them a smoky, seductive look.

‘A little bit sexy, a little bit casual.’ Taz steps back and surveys her work. ‘Bet you won’t make it to dessert… or maybe you will…’

Taz!’ I exclaim, mortified. ‘It’s dinner! I have no intention of jumping into bed with him on the first date – I’m not that kind of girl!’

The phrase ‘It’s just dinner’ keeps replaying in my head on the short walk to his house. I have to stop myself from screaming ‘It’s just dinner!’ out loud when he opens his front door, looking frankly edible in a checked navy shirt, open at the neck. His loose, ripped jeans hang over his arse in just the right way as I watch him walk back into the house. Goddamn him.

There are some seriously nice smells wafting through from the kitchen as I follow him into the living room. I gulp loudly when I spot the wood burner crackling away with a dozen or so tea-light candles around it, casting a warm glow around the room. Something soft is playing on the stereo as he hands me a glass of red wine, which I try not to neck too quickly. I’m getting serious romance vibes for something that’s supposed to a friendly dinner, that’s for certain.