Chapter Fifteen

Feeling slightly groggy after too many jugs of Kokanee after the hockey last night,I’ve made a promise to myself that I’ll tackle the mammoth pile of laundry in the corner of my room, clean the bathroom and try and write some more emails to make up for my lack of communication. Moving over to the bed, I open my MacBook with trepidation... I pray that there isn’t anything with Henry’s name on. So far, he’s left me alone.

’23 emails! Jesus!’

Thankfully, still nothing from Henry. I get busy reading.

To: LexieMcGinty@yahoo.co.uk

From: snowjoe@hotmail.com

Subject: Greetings from Utah

Hey Lex,

How the devil are ya? Any snow yet? Bloody hope so, seeing as I read Fraser was opening this weekend. That would be just typical if I had a small part to play in getting you to do a ski season, and the weather ends up being shite.

Not that I want to rub it in, but we just got a mammoth dump last night and I had to shovel a fuck-load of snow off the truck I’m borrowing just to get it out of the space – picture attached, just to prove I’m not fibbing. Mental, huh?

I heard from Sam the other day. He’s going to try and get a trip in to see me in Feb, because the shop’s doing so well. You should try and get a flight over – it might not be that expensive from Calgary? He said Evie’s missing you lots, which isn’t a surprise. You two are pretty much joined at the hip J

So, I hope it’s all going well and you’ve got no regrets? You seem to have made some good friends out there. Can’t believe you’ve hooked up with a load of blokes that have a hot-tub in the garden – jammy fuckers. I bet they get a lot of lady-action!

I’m working nights at the moment in the Radisson, which isn’t too bad. I get to surf the internet most of the time with the odd request here and there. You wouldn’t believe how many people lose the ability to use a key card when they’re wasted. Actually, you probably would.

I’m gonna go get a bit of riding in before my shift starts, so take it easy. Keep in touch. Send us some pictures – I want to hear you at least tried to do that 360 by the end of the season, yeah?

Love Joe x

I hit the save button just as Emily announces her arrival by kicking her boots against my doorframe to get the snow off. Why couldn’t she do that downstairs, I think, trying to ignore the melting puddle of water at the top of the staircase that I’ll have to clean up.

‘Hi darling! It’s good to see you home.’ She cries, shrugging off her large SkiTours jacket that swamps her tiny frame. ‘We’re like ships that pass in the night these days.’ She pulls off her boots before giving me quick hug.‘Any chance of a cuppa?’

‘Absolutely. You want to stay up here and I’ll make it? I find if I go downstairs for too long, I end up getting side-tracked by someone.’

‘No probs. It’s busy down there. The owners must be thrilled. You’re like their guardian angel or something.’

‘Hardly!’ I snort. ‘It’s just getting people through the door and making better coffee. I’ll be back in a tick.’

Emily is right though. Jenn and Terry have really turned things around since I started living here, but I’m not sure I’ve had much to do with it. I’ve made a few suggestions here and there, but getting the machine fixed was probably the biggest change. The Monday morning promotion seems to be getting more locals back in. And there’s the fact that Dan and Taz stop by and they all bring friends in, who then bring other friends in. It’s become a regular season-workers haunt in the last few weeks, but I can’t take credit for that.