Chapter Thirty

‘You spiked my drink with a date-rape drug!?’ I exclaim, stalking over to Emily and grabbing her arm, shoving her against a row of cupboards

‘What the hell?!’ she cries out in shock, before attempting to shake me off. She looks scared and she should be. I’m about ready to rip her pretty little head off.

‘I defended you!’ I shout, not caring that I’m making a scene in the crowded kitchen. ‘I told everyone that you were just young and stupid, but you’re so much more than that. You’re completely mental.’

‘Hey, hey… what’s going on?’ Aaron asks, putting a restraining hand on my shoulder and attempting to pull me away. He looks hurt when I shove his hand away but I really don’t care. He can think what the hell he likes.

I push my finger close to Emily’s face, pleased to see that she’s actually trembling.

‘Stay away from me, stay away from my friends. I don’t want anything to do with you.’

I turn on my heel and leave, a blur of unrecognisable faces and voices melting into one as I push past the bodies and make for the exit, desperate to escape into the cold night and away from everything and everyone. I slam the door and stomp down the road, shaking with anger as I hurry back towards the café and the sanctuary of my room. I can feel tears welling up but I brush them to one side with my fingers. I feel like a complete idiot and I probably shouldn’t have just threatened her like that, but I can’t believe it. I can’t believe that horrible, stupid, crazy girl spiked my drink with roofies, for fuck’s sake.

I hear hurried footsteps coming up behind me.

‘Lex! Lexie! Wait up!’

I spin around and see Taz jogging along the road, trying to catch up with me.

‘What the hell just happened? I was minding my own business in the living room and Kendra came in to tell me you nearly flattened Emily? What’s going on, mate?’

I quickly explain.

‘She did what?!!’

‘God, I feel like such a moron…’ I sigh. Explaining it to Taz has actually calmed me down a bit. ‘Everyone’s probably having a good laugh about it now that I’ve left.’

‘Like hell they are!’ Taz declares. ‘Remember, you’re the sensible, level-headed that everyone likes.’ She pulls me close and gives me a fierce hug.

‘I’m really sorry, Tazzie.’ I mumble, trying not to cry.

‘Are you joking? Why are you sorry? That was brilliant. I just wish I’d seen it!’

‘I don’t mind if you want to head back to the party. I know it’s your day off tomorrow… no point in ruining both our evenings.’

Taz pulls back and stares at me with wide eyes. ‘Mate, don’t be such a drongo.’

We share a smile. The realisation begins to dawn on me that I just fronted up to Emily in front of a whole bunch of people.

‘Oh bollocks…’ I groan. ‘I can’t believe I just did that! Things never got this weird in London.’

***

I pull the large collar of my jacket up higher over my nose and pull my goggles firmly over my eyes, hoping to avoid being recognised as I trudge past the Ski Patrol hut on the way to the DayLodge. It wouldn’t exactly make my morning if I happened to run into Aaron or Emily after last night’s drama, but I am looking for someone in particular.

I spot one of the ski instructors that I barely know and tap him on the shoulder.

‘Is Dan around?’