Chapter Nine

I spurned my usual breakfast at the Hostel in favour of a trip into town, and the Full O'Beans café – the original source of the epic morning muffins. I'm wishing I'd opted for the communal kitchen experience as I take another sip of the worst cup of coffee I've ever tasted in my life.

'Jenn, are you going to the job thingy today?' Taz asks, clocking my expression as I push the coffee to one side. The older woman behind the counter shakes her head.

'I'm not exactly rushed off my feet....' Jenn replies, and I can't help but notice she looks a little despondent. We've been nursing our drinks for half an hour and I haven't seen another soul come in. If she could make coffee like she makes muffins, this place'd be heaving.

'Why so quiet, if you don't mind me asking?' I say. 'I thought it would be busy in town with the Job Fair today?'

'Well, you'd think, but ever since the new Tim Hortons opened down the road, all the locals are going there for their daily cup of Joe.'

Taz murmurs under her breath. 'Well, I can kind of understand why they prefer the coffee...'

She puts her hand over her mouth and take a quick glance at Jenn, who definitely overheard.

'You're right, hon.' Jenn shrugs, a defeated expression on her face. 'The coffee does suck. The machine needs a service but the repair guy has to come all the way from Nelson and we're struggling to get enough money together to pay him. Ever since Terry and I took over this place we've had nothing but problems. We thought it would be a great retirement plan, but...' She tails off.

'It's that bad? But your muffins are brilliant.' I reply, hoping to make her feel better.

'Surely there's no way a box of TimBits can compare.'Taz adds, obviously eager to make amends for her tactlessness. Judging by the empty boxes that litter the Hostel kitchen every day, Tim Horton's miniature doughnuts are very popular, even if Jenn's muffins are incredible.

'Thanks. That's kind of you. But if things carry on like this, I don't even know if we'll survive Christmas, let alone the rest of the Winter.'

I look around the cafe, immediately feeling sorry for Jenn. Sure, the coffee needs work, but as far as I can tell, Full O'Beans should be doing really well. It's right in the middle of town and very homely, with big squishy sofas and clean tables. It could do with a bit more personality but if things are tight with money, I doubt the owners have been that preoccupied with the decor. Jenn seems friendly enough, and there are the aforementioned amazing muffins. You'd think the locals would love it but I suppose it's the same story the World over - big corporate chains move in, and small independents suffer.

'Sorry for dissing your coffee.' Taz says as we leave, and I can see she's embarrassed about being overhead. I leave a big tip to try and make up for it.

We end up meandering along Main Street, even though it's misty and cold, the mountain ranges hidden by a wall of cloud. I don't mind a bit of damp weather, but Taz is very quiet as we walk. I may not know her that well yet, but 'silence' and 'Taz' are two words that don't sit well together.

'Are you worried about the interviews today?' I ask, linking my arm through hers. 'Because I'd give you a job in a heartbeat.' I add.

'Yeah, a bit... ' She smiles thinly. 'I really need to get a job on the ski hill otherwise I'll be stuffed for money. But thanks. Anytime you feel like employing me as your ski gimp, let me know.'

We both laugh, but I know that Taz means what she says. She told me last night that she wants to get a job with RFM, the company that own Fraser Mountain because they offer subsidised food, drink and a free lift-pass with the job if you stick with it. That's a huge bonus considering I spent a small fortune on my five-month ski pass last week. Obviously, if I'd planned my escape a bit earlier, I probably would have saved a lot of cash, but there you go.