Damon's Rose

Notes - By the way I love you too Damon :D Vote/comment/ tell me how much I suck for not undating sooner.

Rose

I was waiting for Elena in her bedroom, beside the window I'd just entered through; I slouched casually trying to calm my nerves over what I was about to do - of what I was about to confess.

She walked into my view wearing tiny blue pyjama's that hugged her subtle curves in all the right places but I didn't stare at her lustfully; instead I greeted her light-heartedly "Cute PJ's."

"I'm tired Damon" she stated irritably as her expression turned cold and I immediately missed the expression she had given me earlier, when she'd ran down the stairs in my direction; only for Stefan to intervene and offer his own protective arms - I've envied him so badly then.

Trying to sigh my hurt and jealously away I stepped up, holding her necklace on show in my right hand "I brought you this." I stated sheepishly, unable to contain the smirk that spread across my face when her cold expression changed into one of gratitude.

"I thought that was gone?" she specified and I sensed both shock and appreciation in her words and was eternally grateful that it was I that had found the necklace and not Stefan.

Again trying to lighten the mood I shook my head and winked at her cockily; remembering that once she'd called the very same gesture that flirty eye thing you do.

She then spoke the words that were written all over her face "Thank you." Once again reminding me why I'd fell in love with her.

As she reached out for the necklace I pulled it away from her reach playfully; unsurprised when she retorted irritably "Please give it back."

"I just have to say something." I told her casually; shocked at how cold and collective I'd remained.

She on the other hand neither calm nor collective' but clearly on guard and irritated as she snapped with a note of seriousness in her voice "Why d'ya have to say it with my necklace?"

Her irritation made it easier for me to explain "Because what I'm about to say is - probably the most selfless thing I've ever said in my life."

"Damon don't go there." She pleaded but I ignored her.

"No I just have to say it once; you just need to hear it -" I told her; trying to convince both her and myself at the same time; it had been almost a century since I'd declared something so serious - and even then it hadn't been this significant.

"I love you Elena - and it's because I love you that - I can't be selfish with you - why you can't know this - I don't deserve you - but my brother does." I confessed slowly and selflessly from my heart as I watched her reaction closely.

Kissing her forehead tenderly as I murmured "God I wish you didn't have to forget this - but you do!" I stroked my hand gently against her hair before I returned the necklace and tore myself away from her and into the night feeling as if my heart was aching.