Kill or be Killed

-Kill or be Killed -

"Caroline's sleeping on the couch" Elena stated pointing behind her to Caroline's sleeping form wrapped in a feather blanket; as if I couldn't already see her.

I had to admit though I did have a whole new appreciation for Caroline. After all she had been the one to save Stefan and I. I was seriously grateful that Elena had stopped me from staking her at the carnival because if I had tonight would have gone down a whole lot differently...

I'd nearly died again today, for a vampire I'd had my fair share of near death experiences. It had become almost a routine for me. It was awesome being this invincible. I had to joke about it, what else was there that I could do when I had more important things to worry about; like all the relationships crumbling around my feet. Stefan and Elena's, Liz and Caroline's.

I envied the time, when trivial human dramas didn't bother me, or rather I liked to tell myself I did. Things had been a whole lot simpler back then, but a whole lot lonelier too. I dragged myself away from my depressing mental musing to address the beautiful girl before me.

"An'you?" I asked intently, trying to resist the urge of being a gentleman and offering up my own bed to the damsel in distress that was Elena, for I knew the only thing my chivalry would earn me was a slap, what a pity though.

"I'm going home!" She announced annoyed as if she knew were my thoughts were heading; all I could do was try to refocus my thoughts as I watched her walk over to the door to leave into the night.

But she stopped midway turning around to regard me with soft eyes, "What you did for Caroline's mum; that's the Damon who was my friend" she spoke earnestly making it impossible for me to control the smirk that played on my lips as my heart swelled with hope that our friendship wasn't lost forever after all.

As I watched her turn back towards the door I couldn't help but intervene in the little lover's tiff I'd overheard earlier "Hey, Stefan didn't drink the people blood, if you were curious, but he needs to, and deep down you know that," I stated with a frown before stalking away from her up the staircase.

Heading up the staircase feeling physically and mentally tiresome I wondered how I'd ever ignored these meddling emotions that made me want to fix everything and anything around me.

-X-