The Monster Who Loves Me

Chapter 1

Dark and menacing, the Kalamazoo Castle dominated the rural landscape with its many clustered towers, stone pinnacles and massive battlements, so tall they looked like they could touch the sky. Filled with a deep surge of paranoia, mixed with no small amount of fear, I felt rather than saw a phantom figure dressed all in black watching me from his perch located high atop a tower rampart.

Following a narrow cobblestone path that led up to the front entryway, I climbed the steep steps, crossed the expansive porch, and thrust open the heavy iron bound wooden door – more than a little surprised that it wasn't locked. I had a sudden sickening feeling that Vycandor had lured me into a trap and he'd used Thomas as bait. If that was the case, he was going to wish he hadn't. With time running out to stop the Angels of War from unleashing a second wave of attacks, the hunted had just become the hunter.

 I made my way through the castle to the grand staircase in near total darkness before I sensed a presence behind me. Spinning around on one heel, I came face-to-face with Vycandor's creepy assistant, Edgar.

Between his protruding eyeballs gone all googly, mousy brown hair slicked back from his long narrow face, and the white lab coat he always seemed to be wearing like somekind of uniform, Edgar still managed to reminded me of Dr. Frankenstein's hunchbacked assistant, Igor. Especially the way he had a bad habit of rubbing his hands together underneath his pointy chin whenever he spoke like a mad scientist.

"My dear, Chaos," Edgar breathed speaking in that strange diction of his that sent shivers racing up and down my spine. "How very nice of you to join us again. Master has been expecting you." Raising a bony hand, he made a revolving motion with his arm. "Please...follow me."

I did my best to hide a knowing smile. I was right, as usual. Vycandor had been expecting me. What I didn't know was why he felt the need to capture Thomas to get my attention. He could've just asked.

Edgar guided the way to a tower with a spiral stone staircase that led all the way up to the keep, which also turned out to be the highest point of the castle.

Did I mention I'm allergic to heights?

Not that I was complaining, of course. Anything was better than ending up in the dungeon again.

Breathlessly spilling outside onto a gravel rooftop, a blast of arctic air made me wish I'd remembered to grab the jacket that matched my outfit before ditching Hell. But before I even had a chance to grieve the loss, I heard the distinctive metallic sound of a door being locked with a skeleton key. I turned to find myself alone on the isolated rooftop. Even though I knew I could blast my way through the heavy wooden door, it didn't stop me from rushing up and yanking on the ancient iron handle in a failed attempt to try and open it like an idiot. Placing both hands on my hips, I finally gave up.

Somebody didn't know who he was messing with.

"Silly, Igor...uh...I mean, Edgar. I didn't come here to play games. Where's Vycandor?"

"Master is in the turret chamber." The way his creepy voice came out all shaky made me wonder who he was more afraid of. Me, or Vycandor.

"What the hell is a turret chamber, and where is it?" I growled.

Edgar slowly drew out each careful word. "It's right behind you."

I spun around on one heel, but the only thing I saw was an inordinately large structure built right on top of the tower that looked like some kind of freaking crystal palace.

My mouth formed an "O" but no words came out.

Painfully aware of how awful I must look, I attempted to smooth my windblown hair. It was no use. As usual, my tangled long red hair had a mind of it's own. Pulling down on the bottom of the black brocade steampunk corset to straighten it first, I adjusted the waist of the shiny black leather pants next – not quite sure why I suddenly cared about my appearance. It certainly wasn't to impress Vycandor. It had more to do with not looking like a red hot mess when I rescued Thomas.