Darkness Falls

Chapter 26

"You have no idea how long I've waited for this moment," Vycandor whispered, cool tongue gliding along my collar bone and making me shiver. "You are mine and I am yours."

With these words, his sharp fangs pierced my skin.

Jaw clenched tight, I bit off a curse against the stabbing pain. His trembling hand came up to cup the side of my face in an attempt to soothe me, while his other hand trapped my hair at the nape of my neck to keep the flaming tendrils from scorching us both.

I not only sensed his urgent need to feed, but knew that he was completely lost in his desire for what only I could give him. In a way, it was actually kind of sweet. Really super gross...but sweet.

At one point the taste seemed to overwhelm him. He shuddered against me and I heard him gasp into my neck as the rich warmth of my blood flooded his hungry mouth. The one thing I never counted on was the fact that the longer Vycandor had gone without feeding, the more desperate he reacted as a result. Teetering on the edge of becoming totally obsessed, it was almost as if he couldn't decide whether he wanted to greedily suck the life force from me, or longingly enjoy his final feeding frenzy. Either way he tried hard to curb his natural animal aggression and seemed to be winning over his inner demon.

For the most part, anyway.

I had no way of knowing how much blood he needed to satisfy his thirst. A pint? A quart? A gallon? I mean, it's not like I ever measured.

All I knew is that my neck wasn't an all-you-can-eat buffet.

Truth be told, I dreaded this moment more than I cared to admit. Not just because it reminded me of the proverbial lamb about to be led to slaughter, but also because I was reminded of my own lustful reaction at being possessed by him. Especially now by surrendering myself over to him willingly as the power of the blood bond surged inside me. The sensation, dull at first, turned into insistent pains of carnal desire that came in wave after crushing wave of pure pulsating ecstasy that threatened to devour and swallow t me whole. Breath coming in short, rapid bursts of lust I closed my eyes against the swirling darkness slowly beginning to descend upon us, knowing if I allowed myself to be swept away by my burning need to be consumed by him, I would be powerless to ward off the approaching attack from above.

"No matter what happens," I urged, "don't let go of me."

Vycandor released my neck. Tipping his head back, our eyes met and held. "My love," he whispered, placing both hands around my waist and pulling me hard against him. "You are my one true love. Now I never have to let you go."

He pressed his cherry red lips to mine. I tasted copper. Instead of revulsion, my lips opened wider and the kiss deepened in response to the blood that pooled in my mouth when his fangs repeatedly nicked my tongue. Drowning in a molten river of my own desire for him, I became lost inside the immensity of our building power, feeling as if I might explode.

I arched my body, unfurling a set of fiery wings as if the effort alone could reduce the ever increasing flames of passion.

It didn't.

Fanning my wings briskly back and forth to let off some steam, I found unexpected delight in the freedom they gave me.

Despite Courtney's warning, I didn't feel trapped. I didn't feel enslaved. And I most certainly didn't feel wrapped up in chains. What I did feel was loved by Vycandor on a much, much deeper level than I ever thought possible. In a very real way, finding my one true love had set me free.

It also left me free to fall, spiraling downward like the gathering darkness from which there would be no escape.