Say Hello To Chaos

Chapter 13

The sound of shuffling feet drawing near, followed by a metallic swishing sound told me Drool had lifted the tiny door to the peep hole, and was trying to peek at me. “Who is it?”

So much for getting to see the look in his eyes.

I cleared my throat. “It's me, Chaos. We need to talk.”

Silence, followed by feet scrambling to get away. “Leave now, or I'm calling 911.”

I glanced over at Vycandor and Jade with a satisfied look on my face. “Badamn! I told you he wouldn't open the door.” Shooing them away for their own safety, I pointed at Vycandor. “Two things. Number one, you're decision making privileges have been revoked. Number two, you need to do that glamour thing so you don't scare Drool more than he already is.” Pointing at Jade next, I lowered my chin – giving her scornful eyes. “Patrol the property. Make sure he doesn't escape. And whatever you do, don't hurt him.”

“That's you're job, right?” she sneered.

“Ya know, you're anger toward me is sorely misdirected. I'm not the bad guy in this little scenario.”

Her green eyes glowed with hatred. “Yeah? Well, I didn't sign up to watch you kill him.”

I stared back and forth between her and Vycandor. “Who said anything about killing him? I'm simply going to make him pay for what he did.”

Shaking her head back and forth, Jade insisted, “Still, I don't like it.”

“Awww, poor Boo Boo Kitty. Am I offending your delicate sensibilities?” Without waiting for her to reply, I added, “Have you heard of Obamacare?” When she nodded, I forged on, “Well, this is Chaos-don't-care. If I have to use a little violence to get Doctor Drool to cooperate, then so be it. Trust me, you won't enjoy what comes next if he fails. Now get going, before the undead threaten to turn your cerebrum into caviar.”

Jade trotted away insolently. Turning toward Vycandor, I sucked in my breath to the point of almost choking. As if reading my mind, he'd transformed himself into my very own personal Prince Charming. Only his version was much, much darker than a fairy-tale prince. A definite improvement as far as I was concerned. Standing perfectly still, his brooding demeanor only deepened his animal mystique that had drawn me to him in the first place. Everything about him became dramatized. The exquisite tailoring of the Victorian-era suits he preferred for some reason. His elegantly high cheekbones, chiseled jaw, deep set green eyes, and those dimples...on the rare occasions when he chose to smile that is, effectively drew me under his spell. I was utterly and completely transfixed by the powerful energy that surrounded him. Almost like a halo. Blood now pounding in my ears, cheeks flushed with heat, he was fully in control of my consciousness.   Judging by the feline smile of satisfaction that curled the corners of his cherry red lips, he seemed to be enjoying the effect he had on me.

Oh, his glamour wasn't just good. It was downright dangerous. In fact, if he put his foot down right now and insisted I play nice, I might just listen to him. Lucky for me, he gave a slight nod. The hold he had over me suddenly broke like glass shattering in my mind, causing me to sigh in relief. That couldn't happen too many more times without admitting I was powerless to resist him.

I didn't appreciate being anyone's puppet.

And to prove it, I shot a blazing current of energy that didn't just rip the sturdy metal door completely off its hinges, I sent the thing careening straight through the massive foyer, followed by the opulent living room, and blew the door out the back wall – leaving a gaping hole.

Jade screeched in surprise, sticking her head through the new opening. “Give me a warning next time, Sparks. I only have nine lives.”

I glanced back at Vycandor. “Is she kidding with that shit?”

He shook his head. “Unfortunately not.”

My mouth formed an “O” but no sound came out.

“Look who I found hiding in the woods while you two were busy staring at each other.” Jade prodded Drool into the room with the tip of her pointy fingernail.

Following the debris trail, I stalked up to him. He stood up straight and pulled off his knit cap. Sexy, shoulder length brown hair all mussed up, he looked smoking hot in a pair of faded denim jeans, a puffy white vest, and tight black turtleneck. But it was his baby blue eyes flecked with panic that captivated me the most. I reached up instinctively to wipe my mouth with the back of my hand.

Jade moved to stand beside me. “I get why you call him Doctor Drool.”

I grinned sheepishly, while Drool proceeded to run into the kitchen to grab a butcher knife off the counter. I wrapped my mind around it, yanking the blade out of his fist. “Don't make this harder on yourself than it has to be. I just want to talk.”

He made a move to grab another knife, so I gave him a mental shove. His body went flying backward, landing with a heavy thud next to a stone fireplace. The fire burning brightly in the large hearth illuminated the entire expansive room, filling it with warmth. Outlined by the fire, Drool's handsome profile was even more breathtaking in the flickering light.

Picking up an iron poker, he held it out defensively. “I don't know what you want, but I've been sitting here today watching news reports of a world gone insane. I barely made it back before the outbreak happened because someone stole my car. And now you show up. Somehow I knew you had a connection to this mess.”

“Outbreak?” Jade questioned.

“Never mind. How the poisoned youth became infected isn't as important as finding a cure, before the next wave of attacks.” Narrowing my eyes, I yanked the poker out of his hand from across the room and pointed it at his youthful face. Chin down, eyes forward, smoke rolled off my shoulders as I stared him down. "Doctor Drool here is going to help us whether he likes it or not, unless he wants me to carve up something else besides his chest.”