Ch 17- Now We Must Say Goodbye

Sebastian stood before the full length mirror, buttoning his cuff links and tying his tie around his neck. This morning felt different from the ones before. Just yesterday, he had been near starvation and close to the breaking point. Now, he felt energized and full, something that had not happened in a good while.

Luna had seen to that.

A sly smile spread across his face as what happened last night played through his head.

********************** ((WARNING! Those who are faint of heart may want to skip this part! Please do not say I did not warn you!))

Lunas eyes widened at Sebastians words. "F... Failed?"

"Yes. The moment the knife hit the Young Master, our contract came to an end," Sebastian confirmed. "I am still obligated to protect him and help him complete his revenge; but you, on the other hand..."

She let his words sink in as silence fell over them. 

She was unable to meet Sebastians gaze. Her heart began to race. She knew he was right. She had failed, and now it was time for her to die.

"I... um... I want to say goodbye to the Young Master," she stammered in a soft voice, her throat dry no matter how many times she swallowed. "I just want to say goodbye..." She stood from the bed and tried to walk past Sebastian, but he grabbed her arm as she did. She started pounding on his chest, but he would not budge. "Let me go! I have to say goodbye! Let me go!" No matter what she said, his grip did not lessen, he just stood there with a blank expression. A sob escaped her lips before she realized she was crying and her cheeks were coated in tears. "Please, Sebastian..."

Sebastians brows knitted together in an almost mocking sympathy. "Are you afraid, my Luna?" She nodded as the hand that was holding her arm trailed down and wrapped around her waist, pulling her closer to him. His other hand pressed against her heart, feeling it beat like a drum against his palm, before trailing his gloved fingers up to her tear coated cheek. "Smart girl." He pressed his forehead to hers, his long bang sticking against the salty water. He leaned forward and licked away a tear as it fell from her eye. His hand slid down her face as she bit her lip to try to stop it from trembling along with the rest of her body. He gently grabbed her chin and stroked her lips until they parted, leaving her mouth agap. "Look at me, Luna." She shook her head, unable to speak, her gaze locked on his chest. "Do not fight me. Be a brave girl and look me in the eye." She slowly lifted her tear filled eyes and met his own as they glowed a vibrant crimson and his pupils slitted to that of a cats. A sound like a terrified animal vibrated through her throat as he opened his mouth, showing her his sharp fangs. "Shhhh, shhh, shhhhhh."

She heard every breath Sebastian took as it fanned her face. She tried to back away as he leaned forward, but his arm tightened around her waist and pulled her close again. She grabbed the sleeves of his tail coat, her fingers gripping the black fabric, as her trembling intensified to the point it hurt. "Please...."

"Shhhhhh," Sebastian hushed. "Do not fight me. Just be still."

She closed her eyes as Sebastian drew so close his lips were almost to hers. A sob escaped her as she waited for the pain of having her soul ripped from her body and eaten. She wanted to be strong, but her fear was much stronger. She flinched as his lips met hers. She waited for it to start, but the pain never came, only the warm feeling of his lips pressed against her own.

Sebastian pulled away after a moment and looked at her fear filled yet shocked face, her lips still parted by his fingers. He leaned forward again, but this time his lips went to her ear. "Do you really think I could kill you?" His hand moved to the back of her head and pulled her head to his chest, the smell of her confusion and fear wrapping around him. "Do you remember the day we exchanged blood and I held you in my arms as you drifted off to sleep?" He felt her nod, still unable to speak. "That night, as you peacefully dreamt, I thought about our contract. I imagined taking your beautiful soul and seeing you cold and lifeless in my arms rather than warm and alive. I hated that thought. It was then I realized I no longer wanted to take your soul, but rather protect it. I also thought back on the day you traded yourself for the Young Master. I had never encountered a human selfless enough to give their own soul away in exchange for someone else for nothing in return. That was the day I fell in love with you without even realizing it." He heard her heart skip a beat before he continued. "I knew on the day I took your blood that it was true. I love everything about you. Your moonlit eyes and long flowing hair. Your sweet laugh. The way your brows knit together and your lips press into a scowl when you are angry. I especially love your never ending heart." He felt her grip on his sleeves tighten. "Falling in love is not a common principle for demons, but not impossible like we say it is. All it takes is for us to meet the right person, and they become our whole world. It does take time, however, which is why it took me so long to know." He paused for a moment. "I do still wish to devour you, but in a different sense of the matter." Using the arm around her waist, he pulled her full against him and rolled his hips forward.