Chapter4Pt.1- Leaving Everything Behind

3rd Person - Omniscient

It's been 2 weeks since the accident and Ivy basically went numb. She was like a turmoil of emotions. She never flinched when her grandfather raised his hand to hit her or yelled at her, she ignored the bitter tone that Mrs.Lee always had when she came over to the house to clean, and most importantly she always kept her head down in school and never muttered a word.

One thing had been consistent though, she'd always sneak 1 of the $10 bill she got as payment from her Grandfather. She didn't want to put it in a place where he could accidentally stumble over it so she had to get creative. She put all her money in the one place her grandfather would never look, in the corn tin, in the far back corner of the shelf.

Her Grandfather hated corn and he wouldn't notice an outdated tin all the way in the back. He left all the shopping to Ivy food-wise.

Also whenever Ivy went to clean the house she made it clear to Felix to leave her alone. At this point she became mute.

One day at home she walked into her grandfather having friends over. She had enough at this point.

She slammed the door shut and glared her grandfather straight in the eyes.

"Do you care about anything except yourself?!" She yells the chatters cease as she sees the anger in her grandfather's eyes. "You have spent half my life saying I can't do this, our people are not made for that, education is a waste! You spent half my life hurting me!" She yelled not afraid of what was coming next.

"YOU WERE NEVER LIKE THIS WHEN MOM AND DAD WERE STILL AROUND! YOU WOULD CALL ME AN ANGEL, HUG ME AND TAKE CARE OF ME!" She yelled as the tears ran down her face like a racing river. "YOU'RE NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO LOST MOM, I SUFFER DAY AND NIGHT TOO, BUT YOU GAMBLE TO EASE THE PAIN, BUT NOW IT'S TURN INTO AN ADDICTION!"

"YOU STEAL THE MONEY I WORK MY BUTT OFF TO MAKE FOR THIS FAMILY! I DEAL WITH A RACIST BOSS TO SATISFY YOU! BUT IT IS NEVER ENOUGH!"

"AND NOW HER SON STOLE THE ONLY THING I HAVE OF MY PARENTS! AND WHAT DO I GET NOTING! NOTHING BUT BEATINGS AND YELLS!" Ivy was a mess after she finished. Her grandpa's eyes soften as she runs to her room.

She got a duffel bag and packed everything in there. She uses the remaining space in her bag to fit more stuff. She should've did this year-months ago. After she finished, she tip-toed down the stairs into the kitchen and took the can of corn which was filled with money.

She quietly left through the back door and ran and let her legs take her to where they wanted, somehow she ended up at a motel. She went inside and walked to the clerk.

He was a short stump man, with a bald head. He had grease stains on his white shirt and a bulging stomach. "How many nights could $100 get me?"

"4 if that includes the room fee." He answers plainly. Ivy was rethinking her decision, but she quickly took the thoughts away. "I'll get another part-time job and keep saving." She thinks in her head.

"I'll take it." The clerk walks to the wall where keys were hanging and he plucked one off the hook. She reached out for it before he raises it from her grasp.

"How old are you?" The clerk asks.

"Old enough," Ivy asks, arms crossed. The clerk shakes his head and breaths out a deep sigh. "Listen, kid, 18 or older."

"I'm one year away dude! Just one night and then I'll figure something out." He gives me a debating look before he shakes his head.

"I'm sorry kid, can't risk it." Ivy's temper was instantly in full effect.

"You can't risk what? Come on I turn 18 in 7 months!" I said slamming her hand on the table and pushing down.

"Don't make me call security, here's you money now get out!" He said placing his and on a red button. Figuring that was an alarm, she stomped out.

1st Person- Point of View

"Stupid, no good, idiot," I muttered all these words as I walked farther from the motel. How can a place that dirty have security? 'Where can I go now? Think Ivy, think' Suddenly an idea pops up into my head.

---

I put my hand on the school doors and slowly push it. Surprised to see that it actually opened, I quietly close it and walk down the halls.

"Yeah man, she was mad crazy." Hearing a voice I run to the corner and trying to blend with the lockers. I hear footsteps and a rolling sign.

"Yeah man. She threw a toaster at me and everything. If I didn't want to get fired, I'd stay in that abandoned janitor closet in the west part of school instead of spending money at this hotel." Wow, how convenient.

X"Yeah nobody goes there, it's underneath the stairwell." I perch my eyebrow. Maybe this night ain't so bad. "Yeah, Imma clock out now. I'll call you later when I get home." I hear footsteps coming toward me and I freeze in place. He just walks past me and I see him exit out the door.

When I knew the coast was clear I sprung up and dashed to the west coast of school. I used a flashlight I saw on the floor and looked under the stairwell. When I say I door I tried to open it but it was jammed. " Really of all the things you want to be jammed right now?" I whisper shouted as I tug at the door.

When it finally opened, I got a nice welcoming room filled with dust and mold. Try to be optimistic Ivy, it's spacious enough for a few blankets to be laid out, maybe clean a little, bleach the mold.

I go in and set my stuff down. I shake my head as I look around the cramped space. I need something to put down because I ain't sleeping on this floor.

I look at the old clock set up right above me it was already 2:45 in the morning. I quickly come up with an idea to take some blankets from the nurse's office, because it was just two doors down.

As I walk down the hall, I hope the office wasn't locked. I turn the handle and, fortunately, it wasn't. I open it and immediately go into the cabins. I took out blankets, towels and a pillow. As I carry this stuff back to the janitor closet I decide I should clean up a bit before I lay it down.

I put it on the floor, my pillow on top and walk to the other janitor closet. I take a mop, fill the bucket with water, take a broom, carry a mini trash bag and rag. I walk back to my new room.

I clean everything and as soon as I finished it was 4:00 am. I put everything back in there place and lay the 2 towels on the floor with the pillow on top. I at least have to get some sleep, and at least I know everything will be clean.