23. More Questions Than Answers

tw: violence,,, please skip forward if you need!

Jiah had parked Taehyung's car at her house, and Hoseok picked her up to take to their headquarters. They had a rule where no outside vehicles were allowed at base, and she wasn't about to break that now.

"What just happened?" Hoseok broke the silence when they were both in the van, staring at the steering wheel.

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"Did Diamond, the Diamond, the man of our investigation Diamond, just save me?"

"Ahh," she closed her mouth, turning the front again, "Yeah, he did."

"But why," he whined, and Jiah snapped to look at him.

"Why?" she repeated because she found his tone confusing.

"Yeah, why did he do that!"

"I guess," she started, "because he was there, he heard you scream."

"But why," he whined for the third time, and she was getting even more confused.

"What do you mean Hoseok, wh-"

"He's a good person, Jiah. He's got to be."

Oh.

"No other sane person would jump in the middle of a fight between two people they don't know if they weren't a good person."

Jiah wanted to refute what he had just said, but she didn't know how.

Luckily, she didn't have to because when she looked up at the road again, Hoseok was pulling into the driveway of their hideout.

"I'll open the garage, and you bring him in?" he asked and she nodded, knowing he probably offered not to do the heavy lifting only because he couldn't and didn't want to risk him getting away.

When Jiah opened the door to bring out Hoseok's offender, he did his best to make a run for it, jumping out of the van and starting to sprint in the other direction.

But she was much faster, swiftly reaching out her hand to grab the top of his shirt, pulling him back to her and closed the van door.

"If you don't want your cold, bloody corpse to be found in some ditch off highway 17, follow me and don't say a word," she hissed and held him tighter.

They finally reached the abandoned house which they had inhibited long ago, Jiah threw him into their garage. He fell to the ground with a loud thud, the sound rippling through the previously quiet place.

"Okay," she huffed, crouching down in front of the man and grabbing his hair, pulling it back, "Now, you're going to answer our questions."

Soon enough, Jungkook's rugged hair and shaggy shirt made an appearance, with his annoyed expression to top it off.

"Why does no one here understand what 'don't wake me up I'm having a nap' means?"

"Morning sleeping beauty," Jiah said with a quick look over her shoulder at him before turning back to the man in front of her, "Guess who tried to take a swing at Hoseok?"

Jungkook's previous exhausted demeanour was gone in an instant, with his eyes widening, "He what?"

Quickly joining Jiah, he kneeled as well, "Why?"

Her only answer was by turning back to him.

"You're never going to know," he exclaimed through grit teeth.

Without thinking, Jungkook lifted his fist and jerked it right at his face, the calm never leaving his expression. It was impressive, really, but it horrified Hoseok.

"We'll ask nicely one more time," he said, closing his eyes and inhaling a deep breath, "Why?"

"I'll never-"

"Kid," Jiah's firm voice interrupted him, the voice that Jungkook and Hoseok knew never to mess with, the voice that sent shivers down the offender's spine, the voice Jiah would use whenever she needed to get her way. "I don't think you know who you're messing with here."

"A bunch of lun-" before he could finish his sentence, Jungkook gave him one of his infamous uppercuts.

"Try again," he breathed.

"If I tell you, they'll kill me," the desperation was finally kicking in, he was panting as he looked up to the both of them.

Jiah shook her head, however, "Well, we'll kill you if you don't tell us. So spill."

"I-I can't," he let out again, "H-He's going to go after my mom, he'll tell my mom."

"Let's make you a deal then," Jiah started and Jungkook nodded.

"It'll be really simple. You tell us, we don't tell them that you told us."

"Really, I can-"

Jungkook instantly lunged for his collar, pulling him up and finally he spoke.

"It's Kkangpae!"

He let go, the man falling to the ground with his frail body.

"What?"

Slowly, he turned to Hoseok who was standing by the door the whole time, his neck twitching as the pain flooded him.

"They didn't want me to kill him," he sighed, turning back to Jiah, "They just wanted me to scare him."

"What?!" she stood up, not believing what he was saying. He was sent after Hoseok? Not her?

"Him?" Jungkook seemed to be surprised as well and the pair looked up to Hoseok.

"What's happening?" he mouthed at them and they shook their heads.

"Why?" Jiah redirected her attention, "What did he do?"

"I don't know," this time the two knew that he was telling the truth, "I was just sent on a mission, I don't know why."

Jungkook stood up, "Who in Kkangpae ordered it?"

His smile reappeared, and he turned to face Hoseok, narrowing his eyes at him.

Hoseok almost took a step back at the gesture, his heart starting to race. He might have been part of this gang, but he was never going to get used to this.

"Kim Seokjin."