14. Regret

tw: violence,,, please skip forward if you need!

For some reason, Jiah was regretting it. Looking into his eyes earlier, seeing the worry and dismay on show through those clear, crystal eyes, she regretted it in an instant.

Jiah didn't regret things.

That wasn't who she is.

What was happening?

Thinking about the pieces of paper sitting on the table at their headquarters, the paper she had photocopied from the documents Taehyung had asked her to file.

And then being here and lying straight to his face?

She never felt bad, but here she was.

"If you're done with all that," his low voice started from behind the large doors and he emerged, walking in with his hands in his pockets, "You can go home for the day."

Jiah stood up, trying to be on the same level as him, "I can?"

He looked around the hallway as if there was someone else to ask for permission, "Yes, you can."

She bit her lip, taking the opportunity to study his eyes. The first couple days, she'd labelled them 'grey', if she was feeling particularly poetic, 'silver'. Neither word did them justice, however. They were so solid, so bright, the exact lustrous colour of a polished shard of metal. If you looked closer, like she was just now, you'd see the swirls of glittering onyx black and tinges of blue at the edges. They weren't monochrome or boring. That had simply been her terrible judgement. They were beautiful.

When she became aware of the crazy thoughts running through her mind, she shook herself internally. What was it about those damn eyes.

"Actually," he started saying once he started to walk back into his office, sticking his head back around the door, his shoulders poking out as well, man were they broad. "Can you please also reserve a table at the restaurant down the road for me? The five star one, uh, I think it's called Valerie?"

"Sure," she sat back down behind her desk, "What time?"

He brought out his watch, "At seven o'clock," looking up at her again, "yeah, seven."

"Alright, and for how many?"

"Just two," and then he turned into his office, "Would you like anything else?"

"No, that's it, after I'm done with this, I'll finish up the last edits for the Microsoft proposal and be on my way."

He nodded and walked in.

And for the next two hours, Jiah regretted getting her hopes up. She realised why Taehyung had told her to go home after it because it was taking the longest time. She thought it was just one last file, but didn't know the one file was fifty pages long.