Chapter Sixteen

The pounding headache I woke up with told me exactly how much I drank last night. Apparently, I had been so tired, or drunk, or both that I couldn't even make it to my own bed. Instead, I chose to sleep on my floor. Needless to say, I had woken up shivering. I had woken up around eight-thirty, my eyes bloodshot and my face like I hadn't slept in fourteen years. I dragged myself off the floor to get ready for the day, changing my clothes, brushing my teeth, eating something small so I didn't end up vomiting my guts up. I tried to take my hair into something presentable and I gathered my notes and music books into a bag that I had easily slung over my shoulder. As promised, Bryce didn't turn up before Nine, instead, he ended up getting here at quarter past. 

As soon as I heard the honk of his horn, I bounded outside, He didn't get out of the car, rather choosing to stay seated and simply flash me a toothy grin instead of rushing to my side to open and close my door.

"How's your hangover, Ms Hughes? I daresay, you must've had fun last night." He teased, wasting no time in starting up the car and beginning our drive.

"I'm coping fine thank you very much." I turned over to him, "Thank you so much for coming to get me last night, I don't remember all of it, and the parts I do are a bit foggy. But I know you came and picked me up and made sure I got home, thank you for that."

He just shook his head, "I'm just doing my job, besides, if you had heard Alice on the phone, I don't think you would have hesitated to come to help whoever she was asking for, believe me."

I leaned back, a small frown making its way onto my face, Bryce must have noticed as he said,

"So what were you doing out drinking last night anyway?" He inquired, "I would hope you have a good reason since you were pretty pissed."

If he was anyone one else I wouldn't have said, told them to move on and mind their own business, some I would even tell to never talk to me again. But he wasn't just everyone else.

"Legally, Alice can't stay here with me now that mother's passed unless I get married or she's eighteen. Until either of those happen she's off to live with my Aunt and Uncle up north. It's not like I can take a train and see her for a day or two then come home, I would have to make a holiday out of it and I could really be using that money for other things." I explained,

Bryce nodded, "I think you've mentioned that before. Was that the only reason?"

I sighed, "I'm not sure. Maybe guilt and stress had started taking its toll, or maybe I just really needed a drink. Maybe not as many as I had but you get what I mean."

"I sure do, look, if you ever get lonely at your house after Alice leaves, just call me up. I live on my own and you're always welcome to come to sleep over with me. And if that's too much then we can just go out somewhere, just long enough to make you feel better, but not long enough to make sure you wouldn't be able to function the next morning." Bryce kindly offered.

I sighed again, leaning back into the seat that I had become so used to over the countless car rides, "I might just have to take you up on that offer."

He sighed, "Do you have any plans for today? I'm sure we could organise something and meet with the other suspects. We only have three left, so I would guess that we're getting somewhat closer to finding our killer."

I thought over this, "I guess we are getting pretty close, but see, I don't think I can meet with someone right now. Maybe in a couple of days, but not today. I'll need to give my Aunt and Uncle a call since they are the ones organising the funeral. I also need to talk to Emily,"

Bryce snorted, "Why? Thinking of changing agents? It wouldn't be a bad idea. I say this in the nicest way possible, but she's a bit.... well, off? Something about her just puts me on edge.