Midnight x Reader~ Forever You

There was a request by the_prang_mantis for a Midnight x reader! So here it is! There wasn't a specific prompt, so I went for one based on Fairy Tail itself.

Spoilers

Based around the time Doranbolt frees them in exchange for information about Tartaros.

Hope you guys enjoy!

~

Click. Click. Click. My feet hit the cool stone with exaggerated noise. Doranbolt's unamused attention befell me. I knocked him in the shoulder playfully in response, making him stumble a few inches. The thing about "never befriending your colleagues" was completely false. We were close, him and I.

The air was drained of its playful nature the second we halted before a door. It was almost as though something dreadful had happened. To me, it had. A sigh escaped my lips. Facing them had been the last thing I wanted to do. I had put it off for months, yet here I was. About to parade into the jail that held criminals beyond your wildest nightmares.

Just to see them.

I doubted they would have a kind reaction. Hell, I doubted that they'd even let me get a word out before trying to kill me. Not that I'd ever blame them. What I did was unforgivable.

A comforting hand squeezed my shoulder, dragging me back to Earth. I flashed Doranbolt an uneasy smile. I'm surprised he even offered to bring me this far. He was a stickler for laws, and here he was. Sneaking me in to see the Oración Seis.

To see him.

The thought breached before I could sink it. With it came the uprising of a thousand buried emotions. Love. Pain. Fear. Distrust. My eyes flicked to the ground, as though I hoped it would swallow me up. I did.

"Maybe this isn't a good idea," I croaked out.

Doranbolt knit his eyebrows at me curiously. His mind was working, trying to figure out why I would turn down an opportunity like this. A chance to reconcile with old friends. He'd never figure it out. I could never bring myself to say it out loud, to admit that there was more than one reason I avoided this encounter.

"I didn't bring us here just for you," he admitted. "There's business I need to address with the Oración Seis. If you came with me, it would make my job a lot easier."

Needless to say, I was confused. Confused as to why Doranbolt; the stickler, would want to converse with criminals. None of it made any sense. Especially not how I could make his job easier. There wasn't much I had to spill on them, they were all very distant to me. All but one.

"I don't know, Doranbolt. Our history isn't exactly friendly anymore."

"Please; (Y/n), you just need to trust me on this."

I sighed. Doranbolt had been a good friend of mine for years, and he had yet to give me any reason not to trust him. Except for now. The mage rocked from side to side nervously. It was explicitly obvious he was hiding something. Something big. Maybe I was just paranoid, friends don't hurt friends after all.

"Okay."

The word was quiet, and Doranbolt visibly relaxed at it. He gave me a small grin. Then, he opened the door.

"Thank you, (Y/n). Don't worry too much. We'll be in and out."

For some reason, I didn't believe him. Perhaps I was uneasy due to the strikingly cold air down the corridor. Maybe it was due to the fact my nerves were on high alert. Whatever the reason may be, I had no faith in him at the moment.