Chapter 10

I awoke groggily, my head was swimming in pain and my vision was sickeningly blurry. I blinked to clear my head and looked around me.

I was in a basement of some sort with brick walls and a low ceiling. Apart from the chair I was sitting on, nothing else could be seen in the room. It was completely empty.

My hands and feet were bound to the chair, throbbing at the tightness of the ropes. A cloth in my mouth gagged me, making me unable to mutter any word. I was still wearing my clothes, although my jacket was nowhere in sight.

I was still trying to gather my thoughts when a ray of light behind distracted me. I stiffened at the sound of heavy boots on the ground. A scream rose from the bottom of my soul when a warm breath fanned over my neck and left shoulder. I stifled any sound, not wanting to appear weak before the man. He probably relished in the fear his victims expressed after all and might become even more excited and violent if I appeared afraid of him.

The man stayed in that position for a few seconds before he walked before me, revealing a sharp-featured face with dull brown eyes hidden under dyed grey hair. Just as I had assumed, the serial killer wasn't bad looking. He was actually very handsome and well-built.

Not as handsome as Lykus, a little annoying voice said softly in my mind and I couldn't help but agree. Lykus' features were sharper but they weren't overbearing, they actually formed quite a soft look on him, coupled with his constant smiles. As my thoughts went to him, the fear in my chest slowly dissipated, anger and determination filling my core as I glared at the man, knowing full well how dangerous that would be. He could kill me with one blow, judging from his muscular arms, and he probably would once he was done with me.

But I had a secret.

If my heart happened to stop, a chip embedded in my neck would alert my computer at the agency and my phone, activating a hidden alert that would send my location to all my contacts as well as all the members of the agency. It was a hidden function in their detective ID that would only turn on at my death. I knew my job was dangerous, as such, I made sure if I did happen to die on duty one day, my team and all my friends would be able to find me.

I chuckled morosely. I had done such a selfish thing but I didn't want to be left alone somewhere with no one with me, even if I was dead already. I was afraid of being alone. I was afraid of being left.

That's why I wasn't afraid of death. The only regret I had was that I will never be able to take care of my brother anymore. I will not be able to see him grow up, grow old, become a wonderful man. I will not be able to be by his side anymore. At least, I had carefully kept a large sum of money for him. I closed my eyes as my thoughts flew in my head, tears unknowingly streaming down my cheeks. Please forgive this selfish sister, Kiel.

Smith hadn't done anything, only standing before me, his eyes boring into me like daggers. I met his glare head-on, knowing what would happen now.

"Dear, I know that you're aware of what is going to happen now." I recoiled at the endearing word. Although Lykus used to call me that, I hadn't felt as much disgust as I was feeling now. He smirked, his entire face scrunching up into a horrendous grimace, ruining his handsome features. I tried to show my defiance by struggling against the ropes but I shockingly found myself unable to muster any strength. "Babe, the drugs in your system has drained your energy." As he was talking, he unbounded my feet and my arms. I felt my body fall forward but I couldn't stop myself before I crashed into his arms, my skin crawling at his disgusting touch. He chuckled, his voice reaching my ear like a worm. "You wouldn't be able to hurt a fly now."

He carried me in his arms and stepped out of the room, walking through a long narrow corridor before entering another larger room. I couldn't move at all so I didn't see the large jars put on shelves built in the walls on both sides of the room until I was put down on the surgical bed in the centre of the room. I gasped and froze at the sight before me.