Chapter 6

When I opened my eyes, the darkness in my room made me unable to see around myself. After my eyes was used to the absence of light, I yelped as I found a large bulking body besides me. I quickly looked over myself, releasing a sigh of relief after seeing I was wearing my clothes and nothing seemed different from what I remembered. Before I even thought of how I was on my bed when my last memory was of passing out on the ground, I kicked the person, a man, off the bed and stood on the opposite side of him, my back to my wardrobe, rummaging through my coats for the gun hidden underneath piles of clothes. I pointed it at the man, my breathing regulated and my eyes fixed on him.

He groaned as his head hit the floor with a loud bang and slowly got up, his face twisted in pain. I was going to speak when I suddenly realised who the man who had violated my personal space was.

"Dave ! What in the world are you doing here ?!" I yelled out, my angry voice echoing in my room. He swiftly lifted his gaze and stared at me with his mouth slightly opened, like he wanted to say something but didn't know how to say it.

I narrowed my eyes at him and lowered my gun, putting it back in my wardrobe before turning to David again. He was sheepishly scratching his head, his eyes wandering around my room, taking in the articles and reports on the walls. I walked over to him and snapped my fingers before his face, bringing him back to reality. He looked at my forehead, not daring to actually make eye contact with me. I harrumphed and sat down on my bed, my gaze staying on him.

"Talk. Why are you in my house ? Why are you in my bed ? What happened ?" My voice was glacial, I didn't want him to lie to me and I really needed to know what had happened.

He scratched his neck and loosened the necktie around his throat. He was still in a suit, although it was opened and the tie was very loose hanging on his chest. I frowned at his outfit. Why was he here dressed like that ? He looked more like a young bachelor going to work in the morning than someone who had just woken up from his sleep.

"Erm, I - " His voice cracked and he cleared his throat before starting to talk again. "I was, I mean, we were worried because we couldn't join you when some of your team members tried to contact you to give you their reports. You weren't answering our calls and texts so I decided to come over to yours, just to make sure you were alright." He glanced down, obviously not wanting to look at me in the eyes. "I knocked on your door but no one answered so I went to your landlady and asked if she had seen you coming out of your flat during the day. She didn't so I borrowed her master key and came inside. I saw you passed out on the ground so I put you in your bed and bought you medicine. It's right here." He pointed to the little box on my bedside table along with a glass full of water. "It must be cold now. Wait a bit." He got up and grabbed the glass before quickly walking out of the room.

I still felt a bit feverish so I laid down and waited for him to come back, my attention on his movements in my kitchen. When he came back a few minutes later, the glass had changed to a mug filled with hot water, the steam raising up from the cup to the ceiling. I thanked him and brought the water to my lips, relishing at the feeling of warmth flowing down my parched throat. David had walked over to the medicine before putting it besides me. I grabbed them with a nod in thanks and swallowed a pill, downing it with water. I looked back at David after feeling the effect of the medicine starting up in my body.

"So, how did you finish on my bed ?" He looked up sharply, as if startled by my voice.

"I was worried your condition would worsen so I stayed to look over you. I guess at some point, I felt so tired that I just laid down next to you and fell asleep." He suddenly smiled dumbly, seeming to remember something. "You looked so peaceful, I kinda felt contaminated ? I guess ?" I frowned and hit him on the back of his head lightly. "Ouch ! Okay, Okay ! I just felt really tired suddenly and fell asleep, alright ?!" He feigned being hurt and coughed, the atmosphere turning very awkward now that we were both awake and all was said.