Chapter 1

I walked down the long hall that led to my office, the sound of my short heels echoing in the dimly lit place as I glanced at the visibly empty desks surrounding me in the wide space. I sighed, had they gone and left their work again ? I shook my head at their actions and stepped into my office in the far left of the long range of doors leading to other offices and also to the Coffee Room and the Rest Room. The Coffee Room is just like the name suggested and served as a canteen to the detectives. The Rest Room is prepared for the ones who have to spend all-nighters for their cases and have to stay in the company in order to finish their work. It's filled with beds and couches separated by thin opaque curtains so each can have their privacy while resting.

In my office, the sun was just setting and reposed on a long range of trees lining the city lights that were beginning to wake up. The wide floor-to-ceiling windows looked over the bursting streets and honking cars below, allowing me to have an overview of the city in its entire splendour and activity.

I put down the cup of strong black coffee I had made in the Coffee Room on my desk and walked towards the windows, my eyes scanning across the small rushing figures of tired workers underneath finally going back home after a long day of work. My company, the Rosabell Detective Agency, was well-known in the industry and was established about 3 years ago, when I was 22 and had just gotten my doctorate in Psychology specialised in Criminology and Forensics. Now at 26 years old, my agency had grown from a small group into a full-blooming first-rated investigation agency, most famous in the industry.

Glancing around the empty office, I sat down in my chair, my body slumping down in exhaustion after a long day of work. My eyes sleepily closed down and I yawned at the sudden wave of tiredness sweeping through me. I groggily walked into the Rest Room and laid down on one of the beds and snuggled under the warm covers, my body slowly warming up.

When I opened my eyes again, the sun was setting slowly behind the mountains in the distance, casting shifting shadows bathed in orange on the white tiles of the room. My mind was clouded after a long refreshing sleep and I struggled a few moments to finally remember where I was. I sat up and looked at my phone that I had put on the side of the bed. It was almost 6 in the evening. I had slept through the whole day.

15 missed calls from : Sarakiel

12 messages from : Sarakiel

2 missed calls from : Archives

I briefly glanced at the missed calls from the Archives Building and quickly called back to Sarakiel, my sick little brother that had had to stay in the hospital since that day seven years ago. It rang 3 times before he answered, his joyous voice echoing almost instantly into my ear.

"Ame ! Where are you ? I got a new colouring book and I want to show you my first masterpiece ! Come quick !" I laughed at his excitation, all the tension leaving my body in a breath just through hearing his voice on the phone. I walked to the door of the Rest Room and took my handbag from beside my desk. Shutting down all the lights before leaving, I locked the main door and went to the elevator to get to the underground parking space where my car was.

"I'm still at the company, little bug. The car is just before me. Did you miss me that much ?" I teased him as I eased the keys out from my vest pocket. The car beeped and I opened the door on the driver's side. Swinging my bag on the passenger's seat, I sat down and closed the door before fastening on my seatbelt, all the while listening and laughing at my brother's constant chatter on the other side of the line. I connected my phone to my bluetooth Handsfree EarPods and started the engine.

"Say sis, do you think I'll be able to see those animals in the colouring book one day ?" I froze for a second, sadness seeping through me like a cold wave. "I mean, I really want to see those animals for real but if I couldn't with my body, that's okay too. I mean, it wouldn't bother me too much if I can't." My arms went numb when his voice started to break towards the end. He is such a sweetheart, why did he have to live with such a burden ? Why can't he just be like all the other boys of his age ?