~ ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔗𝔴𝔢𝔫𝔱𝔶 𝔉𝔦𝔳𝔢 ~

___________________________♣♣♣_____________________________
"Brienne!", Lady Catelyn shouted at the woman while turning around to check on Sofya. She was far behind them on her horse and she looked like she was about to faint any minute, "Let's have a break here, please"
"Of course, My Lady", Brienne stopped her horse and so did Lady Catelyn. She rushed to Sofya's side to help her to stand on the ground.
They were in the forest and it was a daytime already. Queen in The North was pale and shaking while her cream-coloured dress was stained with the blood of her brother.
"Sofya, you need to rest", Lady Stark's voice was full of worry, "Sit down, please"
Her daughter-in-law collapsed on the ground and started to sob once again.
"Gods...", she murmured, "First Robert, now Renly... In front of my eyes... In my arms... He died in my arms..."
"Sofya...", Lady Catelyn sighed and lowered herself to hug her, "I'm so sorry..."
"It was Stannis", Sofya claimed looking at Brienne. Her late brother's guard nodded her head as she was sure of it as well.
"To me it just looked like...a shadow in the shape of a man", Lady Stark wasn't so sure. It was hard to believe that Stannis would kill his own brother.
"Exactly, a shadow", Sofya whispered making wide eyes. She was terrified, "Asshai is called The Shadow. The Priestess is from Asshai"
Brienne furrowed her brows and started the fire.
"He's killed his own brother", Sofya kept sobbing, "Will he kill me now as well?"
"Sofya, please, nothing bad is going to happen to you. You need to calm down, please", Lady Catelyn caressed her head, "Shh, my child"
"I loved him so much, Lady Mother", Sofya lamented pressing her face into Lady Catelyn's dress, "And now he's gone, he left me alone..."
"You're not alone, Sofya"
"He left me alone surrounded by the wolves", she sniffed, "With all respect", she added quickly.
Lady Catelyn sighed.
"You are the wolf, Sofya"
"It was a cowardly act", Brienne said finally, "To murder his own brother using some kind of tricky magic instead of meeting him on the battlefield"
"That means Renly was going to win and Stannis knew about it", Sofya nodded her head.
"We should reach my son's camp tomorrow", Catelyn looked at the big woman and kept caressing Sofya's head.
"Will you stay there long, My Lady?"
"Only long enough to tell Robb what we have seen. After that, I will leave for Winterfell. My two youngest need me. I've been away from them for far too long", Lady Stark answered, "I recommend Sofya to go back with me", she looked down at her daughter-in-law.
"Never", Sofya hissed standing up suddenly. She stood still for a while as she got dizzy, "I must be with My King like you must be with your sons"
Lady Catelyn nodded her head slightly, knowing pretty well that Sofya was too stubborn to change her mind.
"I never knew my mother", Brienne informed them suddenly as they both looked at her quite surprised by her confession.
Catelyn and Sofya sat by the fire while the big woman was standing next to them.
"I'm sorry", Catelyn looked at Brienne, "My own mother died on the birthing bed when I was very young"
"My mother died when I was four. The fever took her from me", Sofya muttered staring at the flames.
"It's a bloody business", Brienne noticed.
"What comes after is even harder", Lady Stark sighed.
"Once you're safely back amongst your own people, will you give me leave to go, My Lady?", Renly's guard asked in a concerned voice.
"It's going to be my son's decision", Lady Catelyn hesitated, "And I know that you mean to kill Stannis", she looked at Sofya concerned.
The Queen shrugged her arms.
"He's no brother of mine anymore. My brothers are dead", she stated not even looking up at her mother-in-law.
Her thoughts were not only with Renly but also with Shireen. She missed her and the thought of her niece being around people like Stannis Baratheon and his scary friend from Asshai was making Sofya sick.
"I swore a vow", Brienne explained.
"But Stannis has a great army around him. His own guards are sworn to keep him safe", Lady Stark told her.
"I'm as good as any of them. I should never have fled", Brienne looked down.
"Renly's death was no fault of yours. You served him bravely!"
"I only held him that once as he was dead", Brienne's voice was breaking.
"I'm sorry for pushing you away", Sofya looked at her, "You loved my brother and you served him well"
"He was your brother, Your Grace", Brienne nodded her head respectfully.
"He's gone, Brienne. You serve nothing and no one by following him into the earth. Renly's enemies are Robb's enemies as well", Catelyn stood up and approached the woman.
"I do not know your son, my lady", Brienne started, "But I could serve you, if you would have me", she claimed and that made Catelyn and Sofya look at her making wide eyes, "You have courage. Not battle courage, perhaps, but, I don't know, a woman's kind of courage. And I think that when the time comes, you will not hold me back", Brienne continued, "Promise me that you will not hold me back from Stannis"
Lady Stark looked at Sofya carefully. Her daughter-in-law nodded her head as she was far from defending her so-called brother.
"When the time comes, I will not hold you back", Lady Catelyn promised.
Sofya felt jealous when she saw Brienne kneeling in front of her Lady Mother and drawing her sword.
"Then I am yours, My Lady", she swore, "I will shield your back and give my life for yours, if it comes to that. I swear it by the Old Gods and the New", she finished her vow.
Sofya looked away. She was The Queen and she felt weak. She loved her Lady Mother and she didn't mind her gaining a guard. But it was an overwhelming feeling that she would never be as respected and as good as Lady Catelyn Stark.
"I vow that you shall always have a place in my home and at my table and that I shall ask no service of you that might bring you dishonor", Catelyn squeezed Brienne's hand, "I swear it by the Old Gods and the New"
"Your Grace!", a familiar voice interrupted them and Sofya turned around.
She saw Ser Cedwik riding in their direction on his horse. He jumped off it and ran to his Queen.
"My Queen, you left so suddenly and King Renly's body was there... I... I got scared", he confessed.
"Oh, Ser Cedwik!", Sofya gasped and hugged him. He looked quite intimidated by her reaction, "I'm so glad you found us!"
"I can't imagine what King Robb would do to me if I lost you, My Queen", he chuckled.
"Let's keep going", Lady Catelyn smiled at the knight, "We shall reach our camp tomorrow. Glad to see you back with us, Ser Cedwik"
___________________________♣♣♣_____________________________
The camp was full of life and the weather was sunny. Brienne, Catelyn, Cedwik and Sofya jumped off their horses and started walking around in silence to find Robb. People around them were looking at them with wide eyes. Seeing a woman like Brienne and their Queen wearing a bloody dress was unusual.
They saw The King finally, he was speaking to one of the healers.
"ROBB!", Sofya's desperate scream filled the whole camp and made everyone look in their direction. He turned around with a smile as he was happy to finally hear his wife's voice but his smile disappared the moment he saw her running to him, "Robb!", she lamented when she collapsed into his arms. He held her tighter making a worried face.
"What happened? Sofya, what happened?", he asked and he looked up to see Lady Catelyn approaching them, "Lady Mother?"
"We should speak in private", Lady Stark nodded her head sadly.
"Alright", The King nodded his head and kissed his wife's forehead, "Let's go to my tent. There's someone waiting for you there", he added with a warm smile. He didn't know the reason of her despair but he was trying to cheer her up.
Sofya squeezed her husband's arm and followed him trying not to cry anymore. When they finally reached the tent and entered it, Grey Wind jumped on her happily but he stopped licking her face as he noticed her sadness. He started to squeal instead of that.
"So... what happened?", Robb asked still watching his wife with a worried expression.
"S-Stannis... Killed... Renly", she answered in a shaky voice. Robb opened his mouth, "Using dark magic of Asshai. I've seen his red lady, she's terrifying"
"Oh, Sofya", Robb held her tighter and caressed her cheeks, "My love..."
"It belonged to Renly", Sofya reached for the ring she's taken off her brother's finger, "I want you to have it, it's too big for me"
"O-of course", Robb took it from her shaking hand and placed a gentle kiss on the palm of it.
"You find my obsession with jewelry stupid but believe me it's not only about it being pretty and expensive. I have a sentimental heart, Robb. All these treasures are the most precious memories", she whispered, "They remind me of people who are gone. But my love for them is not"
"I know, Sofya. I'm going to wear it proudly", he pressed her closer to him and she hid her face in the crook of his neck, "I'm so glad you're back, my dear"
"I'm glad to be with you as well, Robb. I've been missing you", she sniffed.
"My King?", little girl's voice made Sofya turn around in Robb's arms.
"Ah, there you are", Robb gave her a warm smile to encourage her since she looked scared, "Sofya, that's Torrhen Whitehill's sister, Gwyn. She came here to be your servant"
"Wh-what?", Sofya gasped and approached the girl. She had big hazel eyes and her cheeks were plump which was making her look cute, "How old are you, child?"
"Tw-twelve, Your Grace", the girl looked down.
"Seven hells", Sofya hissed, "I didn't expect a...", she stopped herself and looked at the girl once again, "Nevermind. Lady Gwyn, right?"
"Mhm"
"Come with me, there's my tent nearby, I need to take a bath", Sofya tried to smile although it was difficult for her.
"I'll prepare it for you, My Queen", Gwyn looked up and tried to smile back.
There was no point of sending her away. Sofya expected Torrhen's sister to be older but she decided to accept the servant and treat her with kindness. A young girl like her was better than another Benygne for sure.
___________________________♣♣♣_____________________________
"What should I do with the dress, Your Grace?", Gwyn asked shyly trying not to look at Sofya's  naked body in the tub.
"Burn it", The Queen sighed, "But wait. There's a red ring of House Blackwood in one of the pockets. Put it inside the wooden box in The King's tent"
"Yes, Your Grace", Gwyn nodded her head.
"I bet your mother is not happy with the fact you're here"
"She's too sick to notice my absence, Your Grace"
"I'm sorry to hear that", Sofya reached her hand towards the girl and she approached her looking down, "My child, I hope you don't blame me for your father's death. He was a traitor"
"I know, my brother explained it to me. I'm grateful that you let me be your servant, Queen Sofya"
"Lady Gwyn, I'm glad that I have you here", Sofya smiled warmly at her.
"I'm not a lady anymore, am I?"
"You will always be a lady, Gwyn", Sofya caressed her cheek, "One day you will marry a very noble Lord, I can guarantee you that. You are under my protection. Now go, burn the dress"
"It's such a shame, Your Grace. The dress is beautiful"
"Indeed. It's a shame my stupid brother stained it with his blood", The Queen sobbed and hid her face in her hands, "Go, Gwyn, please, leave me alone"
The girl took the dress and left the tent in a rush trying to make no sound. Sofya sat in the bathtub and rested her chin on her knees while holding her calves. Her head was spinning and all the thoughts were becoming louder and louder. She was trying to make them stop but it seemed to be impossible.
"How are you doing?", Robb's soft voice made her look up. She didn't hear him entering the tent.
"I want to be dead", she confessed in a whisper.
"Don't be stupid, my love", he sat on the edge of the tub and held her hand, "Please"
"It happened in front of me, Robb"
"I know. Mother told me"
"In front of my fucking eyes. I could have done something, I could have ran to his side and...", she gasped.
"And get killed as well?", Robb asked in a worried tone, "I think you should come back to Winterfell with my mother"
"No"
"Sofya..."
"I said no", she let go of his hand and stood up to leave the tub. Her husband handed her a towel, "I'd love to come back to Winterfell. Really. But with you. When the war is won", she started to dry herself.
"It's going to be difficult to win this war", Robb admitted and sighed, "I've expected Renly to help us"
"I know", Sofya reached for the underskirt waiting for her on the bed, "That's why I must be with you. Because it's going to be difficult"
"My love", Robb approached her and looked into her eyes while putting his hands on her arms, "I want you to be safe"
"The safest place for me is by your side, Young Wolf", she stated, "Shut your mouth and help me with the dress", she turned around and put a proper dress on her body, "Tie it up, would you?"
"Yes, of course", he started doing so.
"Tighter", she commanded.
Lady Catelyn entered the tent and gave them a warm smile.
"Your little servant is lovely", she looked at Sofya, "She's going to love Winterfell"
"Sofya stays here, mother", Robb looked at Lady Stark.
"Well, of course", she sighed, "It was obvious"
"One of us with the children, one of us with The King. It's fair, isn't it? I've told you before and your son has no power to change my mind", Sofya told her Lady Mother when her dress was finally tied up, "Thank you, love", she looked at her husband.
"Yes, yes...", Catelyn sat on the chair.
"I don't have any more tears in me and crying won't bring Renly back. We need to win this war", Sofya clenched her jaw, "And Stannis must pay for his sins"
"Your Graces, My Lady", Roose Bolton entered the tent in a rush, "I'm sorry to interrupt... But I have news from Winterfell", he handed Robb a scroll of paper.
"Ah, what is it?", The King took it from him and left the tent to read the letter in silence.
"My Queen, I'm so sorry for your loss", Roose bowed his head at Sofya.
"Thank you, Lord Bolton", she smiled kindly at him.
After a while of anticipating they heard Robb cussing outside. Sofya and Lady Catelyn raised their eyebrows.
"My love, what happened?", The Queen left the tent to join her husband. It was dark outside already but she could see how pale he's gotten, even in the moonlight.
"To my tent, now", Robb ordered with his jaw clenched. Sofya followed him and so did Lady Catelyn and Roose as they've heard him through the tent's walls.
"What happened?", Sofya kept asking trying to walk as fast as her husband, "Robb, speak to me"
He let her enter the tent before him and then he sat by his desk with a map on it. He hid his face in his hands. His wife and mother stood behind him.
"What happened?", Sofya asked once again.
"Theon Greyjoy has attacked Winterfell. The castle is his now", Lord Bolton informed them and the ladies gasped. Sofya put her hand on Robb's arm.
"This cannot be true", Robb finally looked up.
"We've had ravens from White Harbor, Barrowton and the Dreadfort. I'm afraid it is true", Roose looked down.
"Why? Why would Theon...", Robb still refused to believe the news.
"Because the Greyjoys are treasonous whores", Lord Bolton answered in a calm voice.
"What about Lord Bran and Lord Rickon?", Sofya asked as her heart squeezed in her chest.
"We've heard nothing of them, Your Grace", Roose looked at her, "But Rodrik Cassel is dead", he informed her husband.
Robb gasped when Lady Catelyn finally dared to speak.
"I told you, never trust a Greyjoy!", she screamed at her son.
"Lady Mother, please", Sofya tried to calm her down. She didn't like the fact Catelyn was scolding her son in front of Roose Bolton.
She was terrified, though. The thought of Rickon and Bran being in danger made her feel like collapsing on the ground again. This time she wouldn't stand up for sure.
Those were the worst days of her life. And it was just the beginning of this bloody war.
"I must go North at once", Robb stated angrily and stood up. Sofya took a step back.
"There's still a war to win, Your Grace", Lord Bolton protested.
Sofya decided not to say anything since she was torn between coming back to Winterfell and avenging Renly's death.
"How can I call myself King if I can't hold my own castle?!", Robb asked his bannerman dramatically while shouting, "How can I ask men to follow me if I can't..."
"You are a King. And that means you don't have to do everything yourself", Roose explained interrupting him.
"Let me go and talk to Theon", Lady Catelyn proposed.
"There will be no talk. He will die for this", Robb stated.
Sofya felt bad for smiling at that. She never liked Theon Greyjoy after all.
"Lord Bolton...", she approached her husband and put her hand on his arm again, "What do you mean...?"
"Theon holds the castle with a skeleton crew", Roose started to explain, "Let me send word to my bastard at the Dreadfort. He can raise a few hundred men and retake Winterfell before the new moon", he smiled at The Queen, "We have the Lannisters on the run. If you march all the way back north now, you'll lose what you gained. My boy would be honored to bring you Prince Theon's head"
"Sounds like a plan", Sofya nodded her head and looked at Robb.
"Tell your son Bran and Rickon's safety is paramount", The King agreed, "And Theon, I want him brought to me alive", Robb added with contempt in his voice, "I want to look him in the eye and ask him why. And then I'll take his head myself"
Lady Catelyn sighed at that, she didn't like this side of her son.
Sofya, on the other hand, loved it. She kissed her husband's cheek and gave him a cracked smile.
"Thank you, Lord Bolton. You are one of our most loyal men", she nodded her head at Roose and he nodded back before leaving the tent with a smirk.
"I told you...", Lady Catelyn whispered to her son and sat on the chair trying not to cry.
"If something bad happened to the boys... I am the one to blame", Sofya admitted as she approached her Lady Mother, "We all know that"
"What are you even talking about?", Robb asked her irritated. He was still angry at the whole situation.
"I should have stayed with them... To protect them... I came here because I was a fool. I thought I'd help my brothers... Which was useless...", she sighed looking at her hands, "And I left them alone..."
"Do you really think you would protect the whole castle from Theon and his men?", Robb asked her more softly, "Stop blaming yourself. I don't want to imagine what he would do to you if you were there"
Lady Catelyn started crying but Sofya couldn't. There was no more tears in her after her brother's death. And she wasn't filled with sadness anymore. She was getting angrier and angrier with each day. Lannisters, Stannis, Greyjoys... She wanted them all dead.
___________________________♣♣♣_____________________________