6. Stone

Flashbacks are in bold*

It is said times heals and heals well. Wrong. Time just puts dusts over the wound hiding them from the world outside. Beneath that veneer, there's that same old tale of heartbreak.

Two weeks had it been. Two weeks since he'd left her. Two weeks she'd lost herself somewhere. Sitting in the living room, Harram looked around. Everyone was here for her. Her parents had also come once again to tell her she wasn't alone. Soha was sitting right next to her while Hamail stood close to his grandfather, father and Obaid. Mrs. Aneesa and Khadija were busy in small talk with Zara.

The whole family was here. Every face. Every person.

Harram's eyes roamed around the large expanse of the Duraid house living room, but it was just wishful thinking. Her eyes were searching for someone who wasn't there in first place. Still her heart wished, wished silently for him to be there in any nook. Standing tall no matter if looking at her or not. No matter if aware of her presence or not. Just there. Close. Alive. Vivid. Not a memory.

But not every wish can be granted. Not every sigh can be heard and not every desire can come true. Here, among all these people, all of them her well-wishers, all of them aware of her pain, still she was looking for someone who'd never come. It wasn't new. It had always been this way. Harram Obaid could forget everything and everyone when it came to Zaviyar Ali.

Harram pushed her long locks behind her ear and took another step leading to the terrace. Her lips were curled up in a teasing smile. She had bunched her dress at sides so she wouldn't slip. Once reaching the door, she peeked through it and sure enough that tantrum king of a husband of hers was standing close to the railing enjoying the night calm.

She tried to be discreet but damn these bangles which had announced her arrival before she could even say a word.

His back had stiffened and the side profile which was in her direct view had formed into a stern expression. Ha. How cute he was throwing tantrums.

"Someone said an angry and attention deprived husband of someone is on terrace. Didn't take me one second to know whose husband this could be."

She said playfully and reached his side. He had looked away.

"Seriously, Major? You'll show me this attitude of yours?"

"I'm enjoying the night view and you are being a nuisance."

"I'm the night view, you are being a dunce."

He stifled his smile knowing too well how right she was. In her peach and white dress with those hair open she was a vision. A vision he couldn't stop looking at.

"Go away, Harram. I'm sure someone needs you downstairs."

"Someone needed me upstairs more. That's why I'm here."

She had now come right in front of him. Her shinning eyes and the happiness etched on her face were the telltale signs of how contented she was. This satisfaction was his happiness.

"Oh Really? I can bet Dado needs you settle some problem in her dress, Maa needs you to decide the decorations, Hamail needs you to know how much of a lady killer he must be looking, Soha being the bride needs you 25/8. What about this no body of a husband of yours? He's never in the picture."