Chapter 21

Chapter 21

 Copyright © Gem Higa 2011

From the look of the sun’s position, it was midday by the time their party slowed down and stopped for a break. Though the fall equinox had started, the sun was still high in the sky as the hot rays of light shined on their group. The days were full of warmth and sweat, while the nights chilled the air around them, creating a confusing mixture of seasons.

They had been on the move for a few hours and it seemed no amount of work the barbarians went through hindered them in shape or form. Neither the heat nor the long trudge through the outlands kept them from their duties, and it amazed her how efficiently they worked as a whole. When one was unable to perform a task, another quickly picked up the slack without a word needing to be said. It was something even the king’s forces had yet to learn. Minute by minute she learned new things about these so-called savages, and each new trait she unearthed about them tipped the balance towards good rather than evil.

Legends and myths told of creatures so archaic they were deemed unfit to live among humankind. It was said that their barbaric nature was what drove them out of their homes to seek refuge in the outlands, where the rocky terrain and harsh winters were said to destroy any living creature in its path. Though, in the past days her belief and understanding of these people had completely flopped, leaving her with not hate-fueled monsters, but honorable men who knew the real meaning of pride and justice.

Though they hunted and fought with a much more animalistic nature, it wasn’t only with grace and fluidity that make them an ideal warrior, it was also because of their values and courage. These men believed in the conviction of their skill and the purpose set forth before them by their leader. They trusted one man to lead them into the forge of battle and they were honor bound to protect and serve him for as long as they live.

It was a pact they so happily accepted. Not one shamed away from their duties to both their leader and their brothers. It was truly a magnificent sight to behold, and was easily one of the greatest things Leiv had ever witnessed. They were not slaves, servants or commoners. The barbarians surrounding her were strong warriors, built to overcome any obstacle and take down anything that stood in their way.

In the middle of them all was Desmond. His belief system was simple: to earn respect, you must readily give it. Such an easy statement was easily forgotten among the people in her towns – the rich especially. It was a harsh world they lived in, and simple matters like hunting for food became a challenge for many of the common folk. Their food supplies were dwindling, and there currently wasn’t anything she could do to stop it.

The king’s thirst for power dictated his every move and the fates of the people that serve him. He had let his own people starve and die under his tyranny, as the mad king shed not a single tear. It was truly a sad sight to see, but Leiv refused to give up on the people she had sworn to protect with her life.

Her training over the years had not only been for the sole purpose of fighting her enemies, but also to defend those that could not fend for themselves. It was her duty to actively jump in the fray and use herself as a human shield.

Whatever Desmond’s system was for ruling his people, it seemed to work efficiently. Not a single man dared defy the leader they held in such high regards. She couldn’t blame them. Through everything he had put her through, she had to give him credit for treating her friends with as much respect as his position allowed.