Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Copyright © Gem Higa 2011

The time it took for the arrow to fly from it’s owner’s bow seemed like a grueling hour had passed. In the span of those few seconds all life had completely halted, seemingly slowing down for her eyes to see. Leiv could feel the wind tickling her strands of hair as the leaves above rustled with every gust that passed.

It was hard fighting the urge to turn her head towards Deklan, telling him to run. Whoever this woman was, she was here for her, not him. Time finally returned back to normal as the arrow’s projection changed abruptly, flying past her body, and grazing the upper arm. A slash formed through the cut sleeve as a small pool of blood seeped through the torn skin. It was nothing serious, just a minor injury. The wound quickly resealed itself, meaning her connection with Rin was still intact.

Without hesitating she drew her own bow and aimed it at the red headed woman, whose face turned into a subtle mask of mixed emotions. Whatever she had been certain about was now no longer a factor. Not sure of her instincts, the woman lowered her bow and continued to stare at Leiv with a calculating expression.

When she decided to lower her own weapon, the woman raised hers quickly and aimed it once again in the same direction. The arrow flew past, as a grunt sounded from behind the bushes to their far left. Whoever had been standing there fell to the ground with a loud thud. A thought occurred to her, what if that was Kenji, Eli or Hana lying there, dying.

She strapped the bow over her body and ran to the scene while Deklan followed in pursuit. It didn’t take long to find the culprit who now lay dead in a heap of twigs and dirt. His attire matched a spy or an assassin, but the colors suggested something more. There was also jewelry around the man’s neck, holding what looked to be a pendant in the shape of a crest.

“He’s from the kingdom,” Deklan said, finally arriving alongside her.

She looked at him. “How do you know?”

“His uniform has the Bexton colors.” Deklan replied with an indifferent tone when saying his family’s surname. “Also, that pendant was my family crest.” The way he said it in the past tense told Leiv of how much he truly despised his own family. She reminded herself to ask him how he had survived all those years away from Orakrest, and what made him come home.

Leaves stirred behind them as the woman emerged with all her weapons sheathed. She looked a like a warrior from a distant land. The leather corset she wore hugged her figure perfectly; almost like a courtesan’s outfit. The straps were intricately laced over her shoulders that kept the whole courset from falling. Its bottom part connected to the top as it too was made of the finest leather. It was cut into strips, matching a skirt but tougher. Her knee-high boots were also covered in the same intricate patterns that flowed across the material as if an artist had painted them.

Her frame was built like a warrior would be, her upper arms toned to perfection as was the entire body. Whoever this person was, she was no amateur to the call of war; it was clear from every mark and slash that marred her exposed flesh.

Though something felt weird about her, Leiv couldn’t understand it. Before she could cast a sensing spell, the woman interrupted, speaking with a low and urgent voice.