Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Copyright © Gem Higa 2011

“Where did they go?” The guard asked. “I saw them run into this hallway.”

“Maybe they picked another way, let’s go check the other side,” A second guard said, retreating. “Prince Talen will throw us into the dungeons if we don’t find them,” he added.

The sound of receding footsteps calmed the beat of Leiv’s heart as she pushed off the wooden door they had been listening through. After dumping Talen unconscious into a cell, they had grabbed the frail girl, slung her over Deklan’s shoulders and made a run for it.

What they weren’t expecting was Talen’s brisk recovery. Barely making it up the second flight of stairs, they were cornered by three of the prince’s guards. It had only been by sheer luck that they were able to flee unharmed. Rin was able to help conjure enough energy to fling at the guards, allowing an escape.

Leiv navigated the group through the castle’s tricky hallways, leading them to her father’s chambers - the one place that remained safe. When the guards who pursued them finally left, Leiv and Deklan exhaled the breaths they both had been holding.

The fear and adrenaline slowly ebbed away, but her mind refused to slow down. It was hard to keep the strong demeanor that she pushed through to the surface, because inside she was screaming for someone to help her. Even strong people needed someone to help keep them stable.

The girl they snatched in the dungeons continued to lay unconscious on her father’s bed, oblivious to the dangers outside the room. Leiv paced around the chamber, planning how best to handle the current situation.

It was nearly past noon, her father still hadn’t returned from his mission, and Leiv was beginning to have conflicting doubts about the quest he was on. Eli had never been late for anything, but today he was nowhere to be found.

“If you continue to pace like that,” Deklan said, from the chair he occupied in the corner, “you’re going to create holes in that rug.”

“I can’t help it. Everything is just so…”

“Crazy?” he interjected.

Leiv turned to glare at him.

“You know, you can burn someone with those looks you give.” He said, teasing.

Crossing her arms, she narrowed her eyes. “Don’t tempt me.”

“Calm down,” he said, palms up in mock surrender. “I know things seems out of order, but everything will turn out alright.”

“How can you say that?” She raised her voice. “With all the things that just happened, who are you to say that everything will be alright, when clearly,” she pointed to the door, “half the castle guards are searching for us and we don’t even have a plan after this.”

“At least we have each other right?” He jested.

Leiv growled, and flung a pillow at him. “How can you make jokes at a time like this?”

“When should we make jokes?”

“When it’s safe.” She said, on the verge of throwing something much harder at him.

Deklan rose from the chair, walking over to where she stood, his expression returned to its seriousness. “For now,” he said, gripping Leiv’s shoulders, bringing his face closer, as he looked into her eyes, “we are safe.”

They stared at one another, unmoving. Something flickered between them as the moments wore on, but Leiv couldn’t understand the emotions. It was too personal, and it somehow felt wrong. With everything that was happening, developing feelings for someone she hardly knew should have been the last thing to happen.