14. Ghosts of Mothers Past.

"Oh sweetie you don't look alright at all" Alessandra greeted but in a worried tone. "I haven't slept at all last night so if I'm too rude or miserable you now know why" My voice came out groggy and strangled.

"So you heard the noises too?" She asked making me look up in confusion but she was still talking "Oh mio dio Mr. Lorenzo and Miss Alessia were going at it all night last night. I couldn't sleep either with the bed creaking and her loud moaning—" I got where she was going immediately

"Oh god stop" I complained closing my eyes and put my hand up wishing she would stop,

 "Actually what she said was 'Oh god Don't stop'" Alessandra imitated Alessia and I grunted and placed my head on the counter. My poor ears had to hear this shit?

I am too sober for this.

Alessia and Lorenzo having sex is an image I do not wish to have in my head. That's actually not what kept me up last night, it was something more Russo related but I can't tell her that so I let her assume I was deprived from sleep because of Lorenzo's private affairs.

Hey, this counter is kind of comfortable, maybe I can get a few minutes of sleep. The sound of glass hitting the counter made my head jerk up, "Here. This will make you more alert "She handed me a mug and I took a big gulp not realizing it's filled with hot, bitter, black coffee! Did I mention I hate black coffee? Well I'm mentioning it right now.

I ran up to the sink and spit the horrible taste out of my mouth, I swallowed a little so the taste still lingered in my mouth, "Oh God, Sandra, You Know I don't like coffee why did you give me a mug full of that crap?" She was laughing clutching her stomach "I was right wasn't I? See? You're not sleepy anymore".

She was right, my drowsiness was long gone and I ended up laughing along with her. I really liked Alessandra a lot, she reminded me of my mother, they're both fun and young spirited, and Sandra looks so lovely when she laughs. 

You can't help but love her. I wonder if we'll still be in touch after I get out of here, Maybe I'll even introduce her to my mom.

"What are you thinking?" Sandra asked while still smiling at me, I must've zoned out while imagining all the great times she and my mom will have together, "I was thinking how you and my mom will get along" I finish letting out a nervous laugh in the end. I don't know why I was a little embarrassed.

"If she's anything like you then I know I will love her" Sandra says, that made me feel a lot better like I could breathe now. I looked up just in time to see Alessia coming into the kitchen. I grimaced since I didn't feel like being in a girl on girl bullying showdown.

I was hungry so I crouched to the lower cabinets and started looking for something to eat, hopefully Pop tarts in a box that can be put in a toaster because I didn't wanna cook or microwave.

"Pop, my tarts. Pop, my tarts. Pop, pop my pop tarts. My tarties are popping, pop, pop pop" I quietly muttered the lyrics to my morning pop tarts song as I rummaged through the cabinets trying to find some tasty tarties.

A moment after I heard Sandra greeting in her usual cheerful tone, "Boungiorno signorina Alessia", I heard her reply "It sure is Sandra, I had the greatest night with My Lorenzo." She gushed. I knew she couldn't see me but I automatically rolled my eyes when she said 'My Lorenzo'.

"Signorina Alessia you are glowing!" Sandra spoke again and I was silently gagging behind the counter. What is it with people discussing their private business in public? How are they okay with talking about it openly like that? Aren't they worried about judgmental strangers eavesdropping while crouching behind cabinets?