Part 4: The Aftermath (Section III)

Not even Mr. Kane, high up as he was in the school district and the community, could change Mrs. Block's mind, so the award would be as Elena described, and furthermore, Ruby's friends would choose the recipient.

So, 6 months later at the award assembly one the last day of school, Elena, LeAnn, Alli, Aamani, Rose, Lavender, and Alyssa took to the stage, and the student body was silent.

One by one, the 7 friends introduced themselves, and then Elena came up to the mic alone.

"Ruby was our best friend," she began. "And, I speak for all of us when I say she was the best friend anyone could ever ask for. She was loyal and funny, kind and caring, and just a little fierce."

LeAnn stepped up to the mic. "Ruby was strong. She dared to dream and she dared to challenge herself to lead the fullest life possible."

Aamani came up next. "Ruby was the most trustworthy person any of us have ever met. Any secrets we told her died with her-" at the word 'died' her voice cracked, but she continued, "as it should be."

Alyssa said simply, "Ruby was beautiful- and she didn't flaunt it. In fact, she didn't even fully realize it."

Alli came forward with a sad, sort of twisted smile to her, and said, "Despite her status in the community, Ruby made all of us laugh on a daily basis. She never took herself too seriously, and when we think of her jokes, all of us can still laugh."

Rose and Lavender came up together. "In short, Ruby is the glue that bound all of us misfits together." At this, the other five girls came to stand next the twin sisters. They wrapped their arms around each other.

"The loss of her has broken all of our spirits, but strengthened the bond that brought all of us together. Things will never quite be same for any of us without her here with us on Earth. But we take comfort in the fact that, eventually, we will join her again in Heaven.

"We also take comfort in the fact that there are others in this school who take after her in character in so many ways- so that she many never be forgotten.

"Today we honor one young lady who reminds us of Ruby, and the traits that make her an incredible friend. And so, this year's recipient of the Ruby Character Award goes to...."

And in unison, they looked at each other and said "Carla Siene."

Raucous cheers went up from the audience; almost everyone knew the kind, cheerful and friendly freshman who was loved by all, including Ruby herself. As the petite blonde haired girl made her way up to the stage to receive the plaque, her smile was genuine but sad. She realized the weight the givers of the award carried in their hearts and she was honored they thought she was like Ruby, someone she had looked up to so much.

After the audience had cheered as much as they could, the eight of them were led to a hallway to have a few pictures taken.

"Congratulations Carla," said Elena. "Ruby would be so proud."

"Oh Ruby," the young girl murmured in response. "I can't imagine how hard this must be for you all. ...I'm honored."

Before anyone could respond, the could feel a breeze blow past their cheeks, warm, caressing them, smelling of lavender and vanilla.

They could pick up a few whispered words in their ears. "Thank you."

When Ruby's ghost seemed to leave, the girls looked at each other and smiled, knowing they had done well.