Mine 25 and 26

§§§ 25 §§§

In the cold, humid air of the silent night a black hooded man was desperately trying to follow the faint scent of a missing child, praying that the thick veils of clouds wouldn’t cry that night, making him lose it for another decade.

It was ten years ago when he was able to track it for a second time after smelling it in a small town of Romania, called Buzau, only to be attacked by a youngling, making him lose his prey once more.

“Not now!” he whispered with despair right before the first rain drops fell from the dark clouded sky, drastically contrasting with the hopeful mood of Darren.

“Please… please… just let me find her!” he was slowly praying, hoping that he would have the necessary time to find the source of the faint track he had on the child’s scent.

Its potency was driving him to the edge as the strong scent of blood quickly penetrated the air he breathed as soon as he walked toward the mansion of the vampires.

He had a mission and after all the years of waiting, stalking and praying, he could not afford a failure. He vowed to break the chain which was slowly and painfully killing him from inside out as long as they were apart from her. The purpose of the old ancient ritual which they performed on him and many others like him was violently making its presence known as long as the source of blood was still missing.

He could not fail as long as his mate, Olivia, was dying, in need of the source. The one sided bond was quickly fading as long as the distance was growing and the period of time was drastically increasing.

'This should have never happened…' he thought with hate towards the grandfather of the child, the main cause of this disaster. Nobody was strong enough to survive for more than a quarter of century away from their lords and the time was growing thin.

'If only… he could find her… he had to do it… for his cousins, for his younger brother and mostly for his mate…'

And that was when the scent became insanely potent as the smell of blood spread through the heavy curtain of rain with an amazing speed, completely destroying all his ancient doubts which polluted his mind and his heart, because he loved her more than air itself, more than life and death and in that moment, he was sure that he would do everything in his power to keep that fragile child alive because, in a sick and twisted way, all of them were hers.

No blood could be as powerful as this…

“Finally… after all this time… I found her…” he whispered to himself, crying in happiness as soon as he felt her heart beats inside of his own body, moving him to the core. The warmth was slowly and gently caressing his cold heart, giving him light caresses on his sensitive skin.

Lost in the greatness of the moment, he did not realize that something was terribly off until the hateful pain invaded his body, attacking it with cruelty, quickly making him realize that the child, their hope of survival was in pain.

§§§ 26 §§§

Darren approached, stepping with great care in front of the mansion. He could not believe that after all these years, he finally found the girl, the one who held their hearts in her bare hands, having the right of life and death over their existence.

Having her wounded, feeling her pain and also the incredible power of her blood confused him a little so he sniffed again unable to understand how her scent could be human, yet her blood, despite the ritual, seemed to radiate its power, making his own blood to boil in anticipation.

How could that be possible? Not even her grandfather, one of the strongest and most powerful of their kind, was not able to use his full potential while he was under the effect of the ancient ritual. And yet, she was.

He could feel her warmth, her unusual strong human heart beats, her touch and her bare essence as he continued to cut the distance between them, rejoining his soul with hers. Maybe she was not aware of anything, maybe she didn’t know what was happening, maybe she was kept in darkness, but he was sure of one thing that he and all the others were ready to do anything in their power to help and protect her even with the ultimate sacrifice. There was no other way around it. They were all hers: bodies and souls.

He did not feel right about the fact that she was alone and mostly vulnerable in a house full of unknown vampires, but he did not know what he could do alone. Without the others he did not have a chance in front of such a powerful coven, yet he had to somehow get to her. How much did they know? Who were they? And mostly what were their intentions?

Still being under the ritual’s effects, the girl was too vulnerable to protect herself. And this was all her grandfather’s fault. If only he would have left her father to do what he wanted to do… she would be one of the most powerful immortals in existence. Yet, to risk so much… to transform her into a mere disgusting mortal… was something simply unacceptable. Unfortunately nobody could change that. Not now anyway. So, in such a situation, he could not afford to do something stupid. Not when he was finally so close.

Turning his attention towards the mansion, listening carefully, Darren could not hear anything beside whispered words and the frantic heart beats of a mortal’s heart. The building covered in darkness and deserted would have fooled a human anytime, maybe even an immortal, if it wasn’t for the light which penetrated the thick curtains which covered the sound proofed windows of the mansion. She was in a fortress and it would be more than difficult, maybe even impossible to get through their protection to get to her.

He could wait and he would definitely do it. That was the best option at the moment. He had waited for almost twenty five years. What did it matter a few more hours or even days after such a long time of being deprived of her essence? He surely needed her like a creature of the forest needed water in order to survive, but he could not afford to lose everything when he was so close.

What he didn’t expect was the incredible powerful blow to his undead heart as the blood link opened unexpectedly, filling his mind and empty soul with a canopy of images, emotions and raw feelings, all rolled in one powerful blow which almost knocked him out cold. The intensity of the link and the incredible effect it had on him made him kneel on the ground, his cold blood warming with an unusual energy which made him feel, for the first time, after such a long period, complete and satisfied.

It was such a relief to feel the presence of his source inside of him. He felt at ease and after the long pain and suffering, struggling to survive alone, deprived of her constant presence in his mind, he felt happy and at ease to finally sense her again.

The time to reunite has finally come, after such a long… excruciating… wait.